Corker problems.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Recently I have been having problems with my Port. Floor corker. Its been taking a small chunk out of a corner of the cork where it hits the bottle. Dont know why I didn't investigate this more the firt few times I was corking but today I did as I have a new corker on my shopping list and hate spending money on something I already have. I discovered the problem was 2 fold. Both the plunger somehow got bent out of center and the bottle holder (the part underneath that holds the bottle top where it should be) somehow also got maladjusted. I placed with both of these and now my corker works like brand new again with little or no dimple in the cork, the corks go in very easy and no little chunks missing from one edge. Now I can spend more money on wine!!!

Wade, don't know you well enough as I'm a relatively new-comer here however, this is something I wouldn't have expected from you.

I mean you're one of the 'gods' in this forum - we look to to you and you go and leave something like this to the last minute!!!!! ;)

Wade as you know the plunger is already bent to begin with to hit the center when you pull it down and I just want the members to be aware of that. I wonder how yours went even further though along with the iris. Was it hard to adjust. I've been thinking about a new one like the Italian but I tell you they have way more trouble with parts going bad on that then they do the Portuguese and its twice the money. The next floor corker up from the itakian is about 800.00 and it also has issues. You just can't beat our Portuguese flor corkers for the 60.00 or so they cost.

Just wondering about the Portugese corkers. Do the brass irises from the Italian corker fit the Portugese corker? Probably not, but I wonder.

Wade as you know the plunger is already bent to begin with to hit the center when you pull it down and I just want the members to be aware of that. I wonder how yours went even further though along with the iris. Was it hard to adjust. I've been thinking about a new one like the Italian but I tell you they have way more trouble with parts going bad on that then they do the Portuguese and its twice the money. The next floor corker up from the itakian is about 800.00 and it also has issues. You just can't beat our Portuguese flor corkers for the 60.00 or so they cost.

Dan, What kind of problems have you heard about the Italians (corkers that is. Not you, Rocky. LOL)

Dan, I just wacked the plunger with a rubber mallet. Im not sure how it got bent further from where it should have been or if it was just worked there over time, The bottle holder whatcha ma call it underneath somehow must ave gotten knocked, maybe whe the furnace guy was here as it sits right next to the furnace.

Dan, What kind of problems have you heard about the Italians (corkers that is. Not you, Rocky. LOL)

Flem, the pivot pin on them wears out and the brass iris gets out of alignment. I have read and saw pictures of the issues and also saw one in person. I would still like to try one though. They are much taller then the Portuguese so this is something to consider. Are you corking standing up or sitting down or if you're short it might not be right for you. I would definitely say try one before buying one. People that have them love them when they're working.

I know Al Fulchino had one and he said it didnt last any longer then hos Port corker and said he wouldnt spend the extra again. My Port corker has seen over 10,000 bottles so at that amount I did think I got my moneys worth but now that its working great again Im psyched!

Wade, I remember Al saying that. Talking to a person that sells all three models from 60.00 to 800.00 also suggests the 60.00 Portuguese as first choice.

Now you guys are making me second guess my purchase this fall of the Italian model floor corker. I have no complaints so far. I works extremely well and is easier on my back.

Now you guys are making me second guess my purchase this fall of the Italian model floor corker. I have no complaints so far. I works extremely well and is easier on my back.

Rich that is great to hear and I've heard that. Thats what I mean the people that have them love it. It does have have some wear issues though to be aware of.

Another problem with all corkers is rust from sanitizing them with meta sanitizing solution. I only sanitize my corker and filler nozzel with alcohol.

Flem, the pivot pin on them wears out and the brass iris gets out of alignment. I have read and saw pictures of the issues and also saw one in person. I would still like to try one though. They are much taller then the Portuguese so this is something to consider. Are you corking standing up or sitting down or if you're short it might not be right for you. I would definitely say try one before buying one. People that have them love them when they're working.

Dan, I already got the Italian a couple of months ago. So far, I love it. One thing I noticed with some of the corks you guys inserted with the Portugese was that it put a pretty good sized dimple in the top of the cork. Maybe it was because they were synthetic-I don't know because I don't use them.

Maybe 1 out of every 30 bottles Ill get on e pf thise when the corker is working good and I thunk that is due to and odd size bottle neck. Whne the corker is out of alignment it will do it much more often and I was starting to get that on every bottle.

Dan, I already got the Italian a couple of months ago. So far, I love it. One thing I noticed with some of the corks you guys inserted with the Portugese was that it put a pretty good sized dimple in the top of the cork. Maybe it was because they were synthetic-I don't know because I don't use them.

I was able to stop the dimple - by putting a 1/2 of a wet cottonball on top of the cork prior to pressing it down and all dimples went away :h:h
BTW - there are synthetics corks

steve

I get dimples on most of my corks but they go away after a few days of resting. Is there something I need to adjust or is it just the cork being stubborn going in?

I don't know that you can adjust that out of it. There's very little clearance between the plunger and the iris. I think you just have stubborn corks. Are you using cork or synthetic?

Not sure what model I have. It looks like your common floor corker and works perfectly. Has no obvious markings on it distinguishing it either. It is blue versus the red I typically see. I guess as long as it works it really doesn't matter.:h

Latest posts

Back