Corker problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceegar

Reaction score
I have the double lever corker which works beautifully, but the rod leaves a huge dent in the tops of my corks. I was reading on a forum about this issue one day but couldn't find it again.

I know I have heard of this happening with others so I know it's a problem with this corker. For those wiht the same issue what are you doing to resolve this?

I'm also thinking about the Porteguese Floor Corker - I've heard it's pretty darn good. In looking at the pics of this thing it appears the rod is very similar. I don't want to spend the money for one only to have the same old issue happening.

Ceegar:

Personally I don't consider it to be a problem. However, I believe that I have heard that some people put a coin (a dime?) on top of the cork before inserting.

Steve

Ceegar:

Personally I don't consider it to be a problem. However, I believe that I have heard that some people put a coin (a dime?) on top of the cork before inserting.

Steve

Thanks CPfan - I put a dime up to the opening and it doesn't go all the way through, therefore the cork would probably not insert flush with the bottle neck. I tried a piece of cork to act a sa buffer but that too got smashed easily. When my corks get pushed in at the tops about a 1/4-3/8 of an inch that seems to me to be a problem - not to mention they look terrible. And like I said I heard someone else on one of the forums complaining of the same thing - wish I could find that thread. Maybe I can try a thicker piece of couk, maybe even use a cork made out of the real stuff rather than the softer nomacorks.

Ceegar,

I have a floor corker and it does not leave any dents or marks of any kind. Plus I like being able to recork a bottle of wine I've already opened, especially when I've tore the old one all to heck after opening it. It's definitely worth the investment in my opinion.

WSG

I use a portuguese floor corker that leaves slight dimples in the cork but that's not a concern for me.

Ceegar:

Maybe it was somebody in the UK, so a different coin.

WildSeedGrrrrl:

I use a VacuVin pump & stopper. This removes most of the air (oxygen) from the bottle thus keeping the wine in the partly open bottle from oxidizing.

Steve

I would then use #8 corks.
They are just a tad smaller in diameter. That will resolve your problem
GET A FLOOR CORKER !
Port or Italian will be great (I have the Italian)

I would then use #8 corks.
They are just a tad smaller in diameter. That will resolve your problem
GET A FLOOR CORKER !
Port or Italian will be great (I have the Italian)

Well I'm impressed Tom - you knew I was using #9s without telling you, or at least something else besides #8s anyway. Unfortunately I have over 100 of these left so I'll definitely try that. I was going to hit the wife up about the floor corker tonight, you know with Father's Day coming up this weekend and all. She's taking a little cat nap in the chair right now. Normally I would encourage her to get up and snap out of it, lots of day left, but tonight I think I'll let her sleep, what do you all think?

Last edited:
I have a Port. corker and dont get the dreaded dent in my corks like I used to with the dble lever. I would never go back to a hand corker!!!!!!!!!!!

Get the floor corker... it has jaws that compress the corks before the rod pushes them into the bottle, so it doesn't really leave a significant dent. The double lever hand corker just tapers in toward the bottle, so the corks get pretty banged up on the way in. I still have the hand corker, but I borrow a floor corker from work whenever I bottle... it's definitely worth getting one.

Well I'm impressed Tom - you knew I was using #9s without telling you, or at least something else besides #8s anyway. Unfortunately I have over 100 of these left so I'll definitely try that. I was going to hit the wife up about the floor corker tonight, you know with Father's Day coming up this weekend and all. She's taking a little cat nap in the chair right now. Normally I would encourage her to get up and snap out of it, lots of day left, but tonight I think I'll let her sleep, what do you all think?
I been doing this and helping others a long time and can tell by how its written that they use #9.
You will kick yourself you know where after you get a floor corker. You will tell all including SWMBO that you should have done it sooner. !!
:b

I was going to hit the wife up about the floor corker tonight, you know with Father's Day coming up this weekend and all. She's taking a little cat nap in the chair right now. Normally I would encourage her to get up and snap out of it, lots of day left, but tonight I think I'll let her sleep, what do you all think?

Yeah, like she won't see that coming from a mile away!:h

I suppose it beats the ties, or socks that we always got my dad.

WSG

Hmm MEN!!

they are always easy going when they want something..

Allie::

I received an early Father's Day gift last week - a port. floor corker. I had been using the double lever corker and will never go back to using it. I helped a friend of mine bottle up some wine and gave him my hand corker to keep - I don't want it back. I got mine from the Grape and Granary in Akron, Oh for around $60.00.
Russ

I got the port. floor corker from shriverspharmacy.com for 49.95. It is great and leaves no dent.
Steve

I got the port. floor corker from shriverspharmacy.com for 49.95. It is great and leaves no dent.
Steve

Thanks Madriver - with $11 shipping that is the cheapest I have seen them by far. I just bought one - had to at that price.

I am about to buy a second one for my son in law Jon. It and 100 corks will be his Christmas this year. He is the one who introduced me back to wine making and I blame him for any money I spend lol.:)

I am about to buy a second one for my son in law Jon. It and 100 corks will be his Christmas this year. He is the one who introduced me back to wine making and I blame him for any money I spend lol.:)

I hear ya - I've been dropping some coin lately too on this hobby - mostly equipment costs. Thank God those can be used over and over again.

The way I justify it with my wife is like this - she breeds labradors. So I'm naming all the wines using her kennel name - she likes that!!:b

Great - my order arrived today from Shriver's but they sent me something totally different - some kind of picture frame something or other. Oh brother.

I'm a loser - it was the corker, but they packed it in this thin picture frame shipping box - the description on the outside threw me off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back