Corker help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trolo

Older Member
Reaction score
Hey all I need help. I have a Portuguese corker ( red floor one ). I got this from a friend now every time I try to use it it seems to not compress my cork or it starts the cork crooked and it doesn't seat correct. So my question is do I need to replace the jaws? I took the out and oiled and cleaned them

Hey all I need help. I have a Portuguese corker ( red floor one ). I got this from a friend now every time I try to use it it seems to not compress my cork or it starts the cork crooked and it doesn't seat correct. So my question is do I need to replace the jaws? I took the out and oiled and cleaned them

Did you notice any wear on the parts while you were in there? If not, and it’s not compressing and inserting the corks properly, might be a good idea to get the replacement parts, they’re not hard to swap out.

EA3AC641-AF62-4552-B40A-481684F43DE6.jpeg Well alittle wearing but this is what it does to my corks.

That picture indicates to me that the problem is not with your corker but is with the poor quality agglomerated corks you're using. Move up in quality to the 1+1 corks. Those corks have pure cork on each end and agglomerated cork material in the middle. You should have better corking results after you've made the switch..

We had the same problem with our floor corner. For us it had to do with bottle placement and the speed we were trying to cork the bottles at.

If your bottle plate that holds the bottle is tilted turn it so there is as little tilt as possible. Also go slower when corking the bottle. Allow the cork to slide in instead of being rammed into the bottle. Hope this helps

Thanks all I will look into all of these suggestions. I might just change out jaws anyway. I look at different corks. I do try to go slow at let the corker do its thing. Of course when you are looking at 40 filled bottles sometime I do hurry some.

It looks to me that the bottle or cork may not be properly centered and the edge of the cork is catching the side of the corker or bottle as force is being applied. Does the problem occur on the same side each time?

Yes same side all the time. I just changed jaws getting ready this week to try out. If you hear a loud noise it didn’t fix it......

Latest posts

Back