Corked wine...arg

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The last few years I’ve made on average 750 bottles of wine, over 1/2 of which go to family. I buy a fresh bag of 1,000 corks each season. I’ve never had a complaint about making bad wine until this year where my Dad said that he had an ‘18 Cab Franc that tasted bad. I thought it must have tasted young to him, but then I too opened up an undrinkable ‘18 CF bottle. Very musty, barnyardy smell and taste, distinctly corked wine. Hopefully there aren’t too many more.

Yea, I also posted about this several months ago, these days it's been very rare to find TCA so I can't complain, but it's disappointing when it happens, especially with gifted bottles.

The last few years I’ve made on average 750 bottles of wine, over 1/2 of which go to family. I buy a fresh bag of 1,000 corks each season. I’ve never had a complaint about making bad wine until this year where my Dad said that he had an ‘18 Cab Franc that tasted bad. I thought it must have tasted young to him, but then I too opened up an undrinkable ‘18 CF bottle. Very musty, barnyardy smell and taste, distinctly corked wine. Hopefully there aren’t too many more.

With the amount of wine you make only to have a few tainted bottles I would call that very good odds.

Back