Cork Taint

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree also that synthetic corks wouldn't be the first suspect. How was that barrel treated before filling? The char can give up a portion of the undesirable compounds that were adsorbed from the spirits, so it may not necessarily be cork taint that you are tasting. I've known some people in the past that have made wine in previously used spirit barrels, they were old-school and didn't seem to mind, but probably after several years passing wine through them the char was "neutral".

I’m certain I had a tainted bottle last evening. Unfortunately, it’s one of 74 bottles left from a batch of Cabernet I made a couple years ago. Something has been off on this wine all along - aged in a barrel.

Like @stickman I thought it needed more air. I let it sit for over an hour and it grew worse as time progressed.

I’m going to try a bottle from that batch again in about a week. My expectations are very low at this point.
Sorry to hear about your issue..................all that work for tainting to occur. Hopefully, it's a one-time thing. Let us know so we can all grieve with you.

How noticeable is cork taint to the average joe blow wino? You need a refined palate—-
sorta like “bottle shock”? ( which I’ve never been able to detect myself the few times I’ve popped corks on freshly bottled wine)

I wonder if I would even catch a tainted bottle. Especially on an unfamiliar commercial wine. I don’t think I’d have the confidence to point out to their wine guy that something was off—unless it was straight up nasty. Probably goes unmentioned often

How noticeable is cork taint to the average joe blow wino? You need a refined palate—-

Nah...you're more refined than you think! And even Joe Blow the wino could tell, even though he might still drink it.

You would have no trouble tasting a corked bottle. It's a distinct hard to describe flavor, but when you have it, there's no doubt. For me it's a weird combo of musty and bitter. It definitely makes the wine un-enjoyable. It takes a lot to make me set down a glass of wine, but with cork taint, it's one sip and out.

When I bottled the 2018 wine, I used about 90% Normacorcs since it's not that easy to get home quantities of quality corks. Will use 100% Normacorcs for the 2019s. I've never had cork taint in my own wine, but I've gotten several bottles of commercial wine over the years with that problem. Theoretically there is zero chance of cork taint with the Normacorcs since they are not made from cork or cork pieces.

I think if @crushday had a bad flavor, it was likely some other aspect of the storage medium.

When I bottled the 2018 wine, I used about 90% Normacorcs since it's not that easy to get home quantities of quality corks. Will use 100% Normacorcs for the 2019s. I've never had cork taint in my own wine, but I've gotten several bottles of commercial wine over the years with that problem. Theoretically there is zero chance of cork taint with the Normacorcs since they are not made from cork or cork pieces.

Cork taint can be imparted during other processes than just from the cork. The cork is the most likely place, but there are other places for it to happen. Like in the wooden barrel,

Update and good news - not great news, but good news.

The “tainted” barrel is one of two 15 gallon French oak barrels that I purchased which were previously used for aging Rye whiskey. I aged a RJS Rosso Ardente in one and the other, the Cabernet in question.

I’m sipping a bottle of the Ardente and it’s great. I really like it. Which is good since I have 74 more bottles..

I’ll try the Cab again tomorrow and provide the findings.

Just opened another bottle of the cab and took a sip. Bottle number 2 tastes just the first. Immediately a mossy taste quickly followed by a tart puckering sharp taste and feel.

I’m bummed.

What do I do? I think I should just throw them away feeling that washing them likely isn’t going to be much good and any subsequent filling could perpetuate the taint. But, I don’t know. Looking for direction.

Anyone?

Just opened another bottle of the cab and took a sip. Bottle number 2 tastes just the first. Immediately a mossy taste quickly followed by a tart puckering sharp taste and feel.

I’m bummed.

What do I do? I think I should just throw them away feeling that washing them likely isn’t going to be much good and any subsequent filling could perpetuate the taint. But, I don’t know. Looking for direction.

Anyone?

At least you have the base for a cool table!

I’m bummed.

Anyone?

I like the table idea. That's been done a lot here in NorCal but does make a nice accent in the man/wine cave. A lot of the wineries do 1/2 barrel planters too.

But for sure, I would not put any more wine in that barrel. It just isn't worth it. Too much effort and expense to risk ruining all of it with either a contaminated barrel, or even just a barrel with the wrong flavors already in it. I'm sure it's disappointing, but one of many lessons you have to learn the hard way.

Looking forward to harvest for sure, and now that summer is here, time is going to rocket by. Time to start stocking up on supplies.

I just thieved a taste of the barrel in question. Right now I have 15 gallons of Zinfandel in that barrel. I can taste the same taste, although not as pronounced (it’s been in this barrel since 5/13/2020), as the cab that came from the same barrel. I’m going to get that barrel out of my cellar this weekend.

I’m supper bummed. 30 gallons of ruined wine; first the Cab and now this Zin is hard to take.

Onward...

Last edited:
Let me ask one more time. I have 73 bottles filled with Cab affected by barrel taint.

Should I dump, clean and sterilize the bottles or just discard all 73 and not take a chance. My gut tells me the latter.

Anyone have experience in this arena? I can sustain the loss if need be.

I thank you in advance.

I am so sorry. Very disappointing. When you want everything perfect, and something outside of your control brings the suck. Hang in there.

New barrels (or no barrels) from now on!
Thanks, @CDrew I’m hanging in there. If this is the worst thing to happen I’m doing just fine. Education is expensive...

New barrels from now on!

Ya-a tough, 30 gallon lesson. I'm confident, you'll bounce back.

I'd honestly rinse out those bottles and re-use. I have no experience here though, but just thinking about concentrations, you'll be able to wash out the tainted flavor. I think each rinse is about 1K:1, so 2 or 3 rinses and you're back to baseline,

Latest posts

Back