Cork Taint

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only encountered cork taint once and it was with a friends wine who switched to natural corks off of Ebay and the wine was nasty, wish I had read that article then as it may or may not have disproved this. I use very high quaity corks and will never bottle anything without them. Just had to put in an order for more of them and had to hold off on bottling my wine last week due to not checking my inventory! :m Oh well good thing wine is a patience thing and time is on my side.

LOL!
Rules in making wine
That is the 3
"T's"
And the
3 "P's"
Keep things CLEAN (sanitized)

Everything here is screwtop, so no cork issues anymore.

Allie

How long have they been screw top? How was it accepted in the wine society?

NZ has been screwtop for a few years now.. they initially brought out the screwtop bottles in a bottle designed to hold one wineglass worth of wine.. for people that don't drink a lot.. and also so they could serve them like beer at rugby games etc. Easy for the barstaff to handle.

It didn't take long before here and there, the main wineries picked up on it and now we don't have corks anymore.. you might see the odd bottle from france with a cork.. but mostly we view corks as a nuisance. Twist tops are so much more efficient.

Allie

I have my doubts that the US will ever go 100% screw top

It didn't take long before here and there, the main wineries picked up on it and now we don't have corks anymore.. you might see the odd bottle from france with a cork.. but mostly we view corks as a nuisance. Twist tops are so much more efficient.

Allie

Is the screw top 1 standered size and can you buy new caps for salvaged bottles. If not bottling could work out a little more expensive.

Bill

Hiya Bill..

I recycle everything.. and reuse the original caps that came with the bottles, they have a foil seal on the inside.. Everything is sanitised, had no problems with them at all.

No need to purchase anything extra or keep a corker on hand. Family and friends keep me supplied with bottles and caps.

Allie

I'm seeing more and more screw caps showing up here in the recycle bin at the township dump. Mostly just cheep plonk right now. Were less than rural so during the winter you hardly ever find a cork finish bottle, the locals go for the cheap stuff.

Come summer when the tourists come up north theres lots of cork finish bottles to be had. I'm getting lots right now:h.

Just wondering if the trend continues if we'll have trouble getting corks down the road and have to dump hundreds of bottles.

Is it getting difficult to buy corks in NZ right now.

Bill

Last edited:
Bill,

I don't know what the trend is in canada.. though it does sound like screwcaps are gaining in popularity there. Even the more expensive wines are screw tops here. My homebrew shop still carries a large amount of corks for sale, so I suppose it comes down to demand really, she doesn't carry screwtops though.. I'm expecting that to change here in the next couple of years.. have already approached her for a source of new screw caps and she's looking into that for me.. all our bottles are a standard size neck so that makes it easier.

Allie

Latest posts

Back