Cork storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I went to a very large supplier wholesale/retail to purchase a bunch of supplies. The owner invited me back in the warehouse as he pulled my order. I noticed the huge boxes of corks and many quanities precounted out in paper bags. We have stated this is a big no no and a sign not to buy corks from places like this. I realize the humidity and sanitation would be compromised, but if the corks were soaked or put in a corkidore would they be ok? I know we have talked about this but I could not find the thread. I couldn't believe when I was buying 30/60 lots of shrink capsules and he was pulling them out of boxes holding 10,000 each. Oh Yeah bought my first 3 gallon carboy also.

Thats not a good sign as like any wood youll never really truly sanitize it . I personally wouldnt buy them knowing that!

I know what you mean DJ. Up untill recently all I had was a boat load of 6 gallons, a few fives and one seven. A few weeks ago I picked up a couple one and a couple half gallons. This is my first three gallon. Not much cheaper than a six.

Yep, I have a few of those. They are nice for splitting up a 6'er to do 1 dry and another sweetened or blended or something!

Cheaper by not much is right! I get 5 gallon Italians for $25.00 and the 3's are around $23.00 Who figures this out.

I've searched some web sites and I see 5 gallons for $45.00 That's a big difference, plus add shipping.

I hate going to some of these stores, can't leave empty handed. Fortunately it's slowing, wait, no it's not. I'm making champagne. Need those bottles. Whew.

Yep, I have a few of those. They are nice for splitting up a 6'er to do 1 dry and another sweetened or blended or something!

Wade, that's what I've been doing recently. Only I start with a 5 and make a 3 gallon sweet and two 1 gallons dry. Sometimes it may only be a small difference but it's a good way to have 2 different wines.

My Riesling I made 3 gallons into a Peach Mango Riesling and two one gallons just Riesling.

Gotta Love This Hobby.

This is why I buy corks by the 1,000 bag. They are shipped from the manufacture with gas in the bag. No problem ever. Yes I NEED 1,000 + a year so they dont last long here.LOL :d :dg

This is why I buy corks by the 1,000 bag. They are shipped from the manufacture with gas in the bag. No problem ever. Yes I NEED 1,000 + a year so they dont last long here.LOL :d :dg

Tom, you disappoint me. Here I thought you were going to tell us all about your variety of carboys! :slp

Dan
Look what's "FERMENTING"
Believe it or not I have 5 LONELY carboys with nothing in them. Yes I'm saving them for My Chilean Juice coming in 3 weeks.. Yea I also need to bottle some of my wine. Fruit season is soon also. Steamer will be working soon...

Dan
Look what's "FERMENTING"
Believe it or not I have 5 LONELY carboys with nothing in them. Yes I'm saving them for My Chilean Juice coming in 3 weeks.. Yea I also need to bottle some of my wine. Fruit season is soon also. Steamer will be working soon...

I will be contacting you later this summer about the steamer. I picked one up last year and it's still in its virgin state. I am thinking about some crab apples and some other stuff this year. It will be a new venture for me away from just purchased juice. By the way, I racked the Vidal over to the secondary and its down to 1.07 and hoping it stops at 1.06. It bairly pushing any bubbles out now.

Just remember cut and core then FREEZE. Then they are ready to be STEAMED !
Some say apple should be done w/o steamer`. UR choice

I typed a whole bunch before here but I got interupted and must have closed it out before posting. I dont think apples are very good with a steamer from what Ive heard, crusher and press are the way to go with apples, the steamer works great for most all other fruits.

In the booklet you got with the steamer May have said apples (hard fruit) would require extra long steaming. Thats why I said there are those that would slice and core then put in a straining bag instead. The apple wine I made was from juice
Soft fruit works BEST in a steamer when the fruit was frozen 1st.

In the booklet you got with the steamer May have said apples (hard fruit) would require extra long steaming. Thats why I said there are those that would slice and core then put in a straining bag instead. The apple wine I made was from juice
Soft fruit works BEST in a steamer when the fruit was frozen 1st.

What kind of steamer do you guys have. I'm very new to this but would love to get more into the fruit wines.

Oh on the topic of carboys. I have 2-g, 2-5, 2-3, and 4-1 and 2-.5 I'll probably be picking up a couple more 5's soon for my chilean juice, haven't decided on better bottles or regular glass. The place Steve told me about has pretty good deals on both.

From all I have read, it is not a good idea to ever soak the corks.

Even in sealed plastic bags, lots of plastics breath and don't have a 100% vapor barrier. The corks you buy, which are nicely sealed in plastic, could have been in that plastic for many months.

Best thing is to assume the worst, but hope for the best; and make yourself a corkador out of a sealable bucket and an open canister of Kmeta.

All that being said, I wouldn't buy anymore corks from that place, either.

Robie I agree with you on the corks. This is not the supplier I buy corks from it was just an observation I made as we have discussed this practice before as not being a good sign. The corkidore is an excellent storage solution and many of us here use them. We also store our hoses and small widgets in there also to keep them sanitized. With a floor corker it is not necessary to soak your corks.

I must say that the corks I buy are sealed well with S02 solution and when the bag is opened will knock you back. I agree though about the corkidor and is what I have been doing for many years now, dont open this corkidor in a non vented room!

Back