Cork storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I went to a very large supplier wholesale/retail to purchase a bunch of supplies. The owner invited me back in the warehouse as he pulled my order. I noticed the huge boxes of corks and many quanities precounted out in paper bags. We have stated this is a big no no and a sign not to buy corks from places like this. I realize the humidity and sanitation would be compromised, but if the corks were soaked or put in a corkidore would they be ok? I know we have talked about this but I could not find the thread. I couldn't believe when I was buying 30/60 lots of shrink capsules and he was pulling them out of boxes holding 10,000 each. Oh Yeah bought my first 3 gallon carboy also.

Is that the local place you told me to buy shrink caps at? I don't think I would feel comfortable buying corks there. Just has me thinking, hmmmm...

Is that the local place you told me to buy shrink caps at? I don't think I would feel comfortable buying corks there. Just has me thinking, hmmmm...

LMAO, are you at work reading old threads or just at home bored :). Yes this is the same place and I just bought a sh%t load of caps from them and I am not real sure I am happy with those either ( it might have been equipment failure).

LMAO, are you at work reading old threads or just at home bored :). Yes this is the same place and I just bought a sh%t load of caps from them and I am not real sure I am happy with those either ( it might have been equipment failure).

Bored... and should be working... lol

I have caught the wine bug VERY BAD and this board seems to be the only way for me to take care of that itch since all my equipment is full and I have to wait at this point... lol!

Don't you have a fancy shmancy shrink cap putter onner?

This is why I buy corks by the 1,000 bag. They are shipped from the manufacture with gas in the bag. No problem ever. Yes I NEED 1,000 + a year so they dont last long here.LOL :d :dg

Tom, how do you store 1000 corks? I know you use them fast, but you still have to store them after opening the container.

Richard, you could make a simple corkidore to store them in.
Yes thats one way but, not for 1,000. I count out 100 and put in zip lock bags and blow some co2 in there. From there I would suggest a corkador. Remember its the fumes not the liquid contact that sanitizes.

Why not or 1,000 I ve had 700 in my 5 gallon bucket with a 1 gallon jug in there 3/4 full of the meta. Youd eed a 6 or 7.9 for the 1,000 though.

After I package them I can't fit them in a 6 gal bucket.

Back