Cork Sizes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikev63

Junior
Reaction score
I have a question.

I have puchases 750ML bottles and was wondering what size corks to use. I see 3 different sizes:

8 - 1 3/4
9 - 1 1/2

I am assuming the default cork is 8 - 1 3/4. What are the other sizes for?

Mike

I too was wondering about this and did a search, #9 if you have a floor corker as they give a better seal. #8 if using a handcorker, cuz it would almost be impossible to get a #9 in with it.

I too was wondering about this and did a search, #9 if you have a floor corker as they give a better seal. #8 if using a handcorker, cuz it would almost be impossible to get a #9 in with it.

I have no problem using #9 with my double-lever hand corker.

I have been eye-balling floor corkers though :)

I've always used the 8 1 3/4 synthetic. They seal better than the smaller and don't dryout like real cork. Plus real cork can sometimes contain bacteria inside that you can't sanitize.

I never found a use for #7 corks. The supplier seemed to be trying to tell me that I should be measuring the inside of every bottle and deciding between #7, #8, and #9 based on that measurement. NOT happening when I ran a Ferment on Premise. Not happening now when I just do it at home.

I use #9s all the time in my floor corker. Some folks have trouble with #9s in a hand corker, so they use #8s.

Both #8 and #9 should be available in both lengths. I've been using the 1 1/2" ones more lately, but the 1 3/4" ones are better if you will be doing some long term storage. So for a mist wine or short term regular wines I try to use 1 1/2" corks, for long term storage 1 3/4".

Steve

I never found a use for #7 corks.
Steve

Steve - I just learned Tuesday, during a LHBS visit, that 187's take #7 corks. I'm planning to add some 375 to my collection, but they take #9 just like the 750's

I read *somewhere* that #8 fit some Italian bottles ....

Like above 8's and 9's will work. 8's work better on the cheaper hand corkers and for those who just dont have the strength.
9's are used almost by all who have a floor corker.
If you plan on making any kind of quanity I strongly suggest looking into getting a floor corker. You will not be dissappointed.

Bob:

Interesting comment on the 187s. I thought they were all screw caps, but haven't really looked into them. And have never filled any.

Here's my take on the corking process. The cork starts out a specific size (if I recall rightly #7 is 21mm, #8 is 22mm, and #9 is 23 or 24 mm). The corker compresses the cork to fit in a bottle, either by squeezing in jaws or pushing thru a tapered sleeve. I think that all sizes of cork would be compressed to the same small diameter. So either the cork fits the bottle at that small diameter or it doesn't. Then the cork starts to swell back out, it's memory wanting to return to it's original size, but the bottle stops it. From this view, any size cork can go in any corkable bottle.

Two provisos to that...
1) different corkers may compress the cork more or less.
2) a larger cork in a smaller necked bottle may cause the neck to crack when it expands.

Bottom line for me. I use #9s with a floor corker. But I only use 375ml, 750ml, and 1.5 litre bottles. Haven't had any problems.

Steve

I've only bottle 2 batches so far. Started with the cheap platic plunger "Handy" corker. Boy were my hands sore after 30 bottles and about 45 minutes of time to cork. Used #8 corks. Upgraded to a double lever portuguese hand corker. Stuck with the #8 corks and got the corking part done for 30 bottles in less than 10 minutes. My fiance bought me a new complete setup of equipment and it came with another double lever corker. We're going to stick with that for a while until I get to the point where I have 4 or 5 6 gallon carboys worth to bottle then a floor corker will be ordered and #9 corks used.
Point being, the 8s will work for hand corkers. 9s will be a bit tougher but are doable. A floor corker would be a nice piece of gear to have if you have the cash and the room.

Bob:

Bottom line for me. I use #9s with a floor corker. But I only use 375ml, 750ml, and 1.5 litre bottles. Haven't had any problems.

Steve

I agree, Steve. #9's for me too. I just don't have the floor corker. Yet ...

I use 9 x 1.75 although Ive had a few 375's that really should have had #8 corks as they distressed a few corks getting them in and Im using a floor corker.

the 187ml bottles the LHBS was talking about that take #7 corks are champagne double-splits. not screwtop or screwcap bottles. though the champagne bottles also take crown caps. but for wine, i'd use a #7 in them.

i think the 187ml double-splits are under-utilized. for a complex red that can take 2+ years to reach maturity, 4 double-splits allow you to same 4 times leading up to that 2 year mark while only losing 1 of out 30 bottles.

My 2 handle italian hand corker works fine with #9s. I do, more often than not, get a dimple in the top of the cork. I use only natural corks.

Dimples make it so i can put my wax seal and stamp on the top. I like doing that for bottles I'm going to save for my private stock.

Latest posts

Back