Cork size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, StarSan needs to be in contact with the object being sanitized. It works by having a low pH, lower than bugs can tolerate. So the bugs need to be immersed in the low-pH solution to be eliminated.

Can I do the same thing to sanitize my natural corks but use Star San solution instead?

Nope, the fumes do the work for you with the potassium metabisulfite, whereas StarSan has to actually be in contact with the surfaces you intend to sanitize.

Edit: didn’t intend to be redundant, just didn’t see the two responses on the second page..... carry on.

Can I do the same thing to sanitize my natural corks but use Star San solution instead?

I would guess not. My understanding is that Star San sanitizes by contact with the object. Kmeta solution sanitizes both by contact and by the gas given off by the solution. That is why the "corkeators" e.g. JohnD's bucket, colander and lid set up, that people make up works so well. I have an old salad spinner. I put the corks in the basket, the solution in the spinner bottom and put the top on when I begin to bottle. By the time I am finished bottling, the corks are nicely sanitized by the gas.

I used the SO2 vapor method for about 5 years without a problem, then I changes to doing nothing. I keep my corks in a ziplock and I haven‘t had a problem in the last 8 years.

Is Sodium Metabisulfite (Na-Meta? - never see it mentioned as such) the same as Potassium Metabisulfite (K-Meta) for sterilizing? I got a bag of Na-Meta when I inherited my wine-making equipment. I use if for sterilizing equipment. A little goes a long way and I still have lots left.
Is storing with powdered K-Meta or Na-Meta in a sealed container acceptable, or is the 10-15 minutes above liquid, when needed, preferable?

Is Sodium Metabisulfite (Na-Meta? - never see it mentioned as such) the same as Potassium Metabisulfite (K-Meta) for sterilizing? I got a bag of Na-Meta when I inherited my wine-making equipment. I use if for sterilizing equipment. A little goes a long way and I still have lots left.
Is storing with powdered K-Meta or Na-Meta in a sealed container acceptable, or is the 10-15 minutes above liquid, when needed, preferable?

Yes, Na-meta works the same for sterilization as K-meta does.

Latest posts

Back