Quantcast

Cork size

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

wineview

Reaction score
I've noticed different sizes. I will probably be collecting a variety of bottles from local restaurants. What size should I consider. And is it a good idea to stay away from used corks.

WV

Last edited:

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
Yes, you should avoid reusing used corks.

As for size: https://brewngrow.com/blogs/winemaking/what-is-the-difference-between-8-and-9-corks

What is the Difference Between #8 and #9 Corks
A question we get a lot at the store is, what is the difference between a #8 and a #9 wine cork?

A #8 cork is 22mm in diameter and a #9 cork is 24mm in diameter. The benefit of a #9 cork is it will seal tighter and is for long term storage of the wine. (More than 2 years)

We do not recommend using #9 corks if you are using a hand corker. You should definitely have a floor corker to use #9 corks.

#8 corks are recommended if you are using a hand corker or wing corker and if you plan to store the wine less than 2 years.

Donatelo

Reaction score
It's been said that a used cork is only good for making kitty toys. The #9 cork is what I use for Champagne and Mead. I have the two handed corker and can insert them with a swift stroke only. I soak them in a hot water bath with a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in the hot water. They slide right in.

wineview

Reaction score
It's been said that a used cork is only good for making kitty toys. The #9 cork is what I use for Champagne and Mead. I have the two handed corker and can insert them with a swift stroke only. I soak them in a hot water bath with a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil in the hot water. They slide right in.
Does the oil affect the wine?

Latest posts