Cork size question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought some 375mm Bordeaux bottles. One supplier on the net said to use #8 corks and the place I bought them from said to use #9. Any suggestions here?

If you have a floor corker then #9 is the best, but make sure the lenght is appropriate cause if the bottom of the cork is past the flat area inside the bottle then its too long and isnt doing its job properly, a 1.5 would be a better solution to this bottle.

If you are a FAST drinker then length don't matter. I use #9 all the time agromulated (sp)

I will use #9x1.5. My question is why does it matter if the cork is too long as long as there is a bit of space between that and the wine. I think 60-70 bottles of this stuff will be around for a long time unless if we use it for gifts.

If the wine slips past the first but of the cork then (especially on some corks where there are discs on the ends that do most of the work) the wine is trapped in between the cork bottle where it can be separated from the wine itself this loosing its protection and getting oxidized and the if your bottles get moved around and the wine gets in contact with this specimen then you can infect the whole batch or possibly that little bit of wine gone bad can start to deteriorate the cork due to spoilage. There are other possibilities also.

Dan,

Where did you get the 375 bottles? And if you don't mind what did you pay for them?

I got them at Presque Isle Wine Cellars and paid $20.00 for a case of 24. They would be a perfect size for people that are making 1 gallon experiments. Recently I went to a freinds house and they have been doing a lot of experimenting and this is what they used. He had a very interesting wine he made with coffee beans and i think it was mango's. Most of his stuff is with blueberries as he owns a very large blueberry farm.

I got them at Presque Isle Wine Cellars and paid $20.00 for a case of 24. They would be a perfect size for people that are making 1 gallon experiments. Recently I went to a freinds house and they have been doing a lot of experimenting and this is what they used. He had a very interesting wine he made with coffee beans and i think it was mango's. Most of his stuff is with blueberries as he owns a very large blueberry farm.

Aah very good price, I am finding them for $30 or more. I need to get a case for the hot pepper wine. This is the prefect size.

Cool, keep your top on and let me know when you guys want to come up. Also a good chance for you to pick up used bottles if you have trouble getting them in Pgh. Which reminds me, we just had a big wine event up here at the convention center. Last time I was able to pick up 50 cases of bottles from one winery. I like there's best as the labels are only half as hard to get off compared to others ($2.00/case).

I dont see the Bordeuax 375 on the site, I do see hoks though or is it one of the composite, what ever that means with no picture.

Cool, keep your top on and let me know when you guys want to come up. Also a good chance for you to pick up used bottles if you have trouble getting them in Pgh. Which reminds me, we just had a big wine event up here at the convention center. Last time I was able to pick up 50 cases of bottles from one winery. I like there's best as the labels are only half as hard to get off compared to others ($2.00/case).

Ok, both of us will keep our tops on but the jeep top goes down, sometimes you are just too difficult! Not sure when, we were looking towards the end of summer and make a weekend of wine touring. As soon as we set a date, I'll let you know. Doug (ffemt) might be interested as well.

Have you ever gone to North Country Brewery? I'm not sure how far that is for you to drive but we are headed up there after Slippery Rock U lets out, if you are interested in meeting up let me know.

Yes that is correct Wade. The order # is w375cf and it is called composite cork flint. Like you said what ever composite means. The price was 19.80/24

Latest posts

Back