Cork size question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I ask a related question?

First the set up...
I have been collecting bottles from a local restaurant for the past 6 months and I have a very nice assortment of colors and sizes.
I now have enough of "the same" color, shape, and size of a particular bottle to uniformly bottle my first batch.
I started my first batch of a "kit" wine this past Sunday and I am preparing to bottle it in the next few weeks or so.

So here's the question...
How can I determine the best cork size to use for these various sized bottles?

All of your 750mm bottles will take a #9 cork. If your you're using a hand corker instead of a floor corker you might find a #8 will go in easier. The most common and best cork size is #9 X 1 3/4".

Thanks for your reply.

For this first batch, I will be using the hand corker that came with the "equipment" kit.
I'll have to check to see what size corks came with the equipment.
If it happens to be the #9, will I find it ridiculously difficult to install with the hand corker?

I don't thinks so as many people on here use hand corkers. Once you get into the hobby you will find spending the $60.00 give or take will be money well spent as it is a lot easier and quicker.

Many thanks.
For now, it's back to work for me.
Have a great weekend!

I'll have to check to see what size corks came with the equipment.
If it happens to be the #9, will I find it ridiculously difficult to install with the hand corker?
It depends on your strength and the exact style of hand corker.

When I ran an LHBS, I had hand corker customers who had no problems with #9s, others insisted on #8s, and remember that a couple asked if there was such a thing as a #7. Of course, when one of my suppliers added #7s to their lineup, those folks were using a floor corker and no longer wanted #7s.

Steve

We use two double levered Portuguese hand corkers. Just ordered a bag of #8 1.75".
those go in pretty well. Haven't had a leaker yet (knocks on wood). Will move to nines when I break down and get the Italian floor corker next year.
As of now we can cork 30 bottles under 3 minutes.

It depends on your strength and the exact style of hand corker.

When I ran an LHBS, I had hand corker customers who had no problems with #9s, others insisted on #8s, and remember that a couple asked if there was such a thing as a #7. Of course, when one of my suppliers added #7s to their lineup, those folks were using a floor corker and no longer wanted #7s.

Steve

So the moral of the story is get a floor corker right from the start and use #9 corks! This is the one piece of equipment you will never regret.

Ok, both of us will keep our tops on but the jeep top goes down, sometimes you are just too difficult! Not sure when, we were looking towards the end of summer and make a weekend of wine touring. As soon as we set a date, I'll let you know. Doug (ffemt) might be interested as well.

Have you ever gone to North Country Brewery? I'm not sure how far that is for you to drive but we are headed up there after Slippery Rock U lets out, if you are interested in meeting up let me know.

I'd be interested in a day trip with the wife, if you don't mind a 3 y/o coming along also. With warm weather coming I don't think the 17 y/o will be wanting to spend an entire day watching the little sister. I think she will be wanting to do as much as possible with her friends before the move to Edinboro for school.

I'll actually be up that way on June 25th for an orientation session my daughter has to attend. (they say its mandatory) I'm not sure how long that is going to last but we were going to go exploring after if we got out soon enough.

Latest posts

Back