Cork shrinkage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackermonkey

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m having a problem with cork shrinkage , I been using “nova cork” and some of the corks are starting to dry out and taper smaller at the top of the cork , after only three months . they are stored in my wine fridge at 14 c and 70 humidity. Any one else have this problem ?

When you put the corks into the bottles are you soaking the corks prior to installing?? That's one way I could see they might later shrink some. There is no need to boil, soak or anything like that with corks. I put mine in a bucket, with some Kmeta sanitizing solution, but inside something, so they stay out of the liquid. You may see the term corkidor on some posts, that is the essence of what folks mean.

When you put the corks into the bottles are you soaking the corks prior to installing?? That's one way I could see they might later shrink some. There is no need to boil, soak or anything like that with corks. I put mine in a bucket, with some Kmeta sanitizing solution, but inside something, so they stay out of the liquid. You may see the term corkidor on some posts, that is the essence of what folks mean.
I don’t really soak them very long , my understanding the soaking is just to sterilize and make the corking process easier . I bought these off my u brew guy , he sold me them cheap because they where a little to large for corking machine . Opened some of my older bottles ,different corks same process and there fine , so I think I might just toss the rest or give them to the kids for art class. Just wondering if anyone else had simalar issues with the brand .

Latest posts

Back