cork seeping

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlgblg

Junior
Reaction score
i know that i have a gas problem. this batch in question is about 6 mo. old and i see that it is seeping through the center of the cork.
just wondering what if anything i can do? it is a red merlot
and after reading i know that i over stirred when degassing to high of speed

Sorry about your "gas" problem :<) ha ha

The gas pressure could be causing the wine to be forced out of the cork.
If you "over stirred", then why do you have a gas problem? Have you opened the bottle and it fizzes?
I suppose you can dump it all back in a carboy and degas some more then rebottle. If its not terribly bad I might just decant the wine each time you serve it and the gas may come out then.

Even with no gas problems I've had wine leak out. It may be that you turned them on their side too early and the pressure of the air was not equalized yet.

It could also be that you didnt leave enough "head" space.
Is it FIZZY?

yes it is fizzy and the head space is good the ones i did open i started to open like a day early and was much better but that was before i noticed the leaking so i was wondering if i should do any thing like recork or what

Was it a kit? Did you add sulfites and sorbate?
My advice is to order a fresh bag of corks, empty the bottles into a carboy and add 1/4tsp KMeta and the recommended amound of sorbate. Degas and let it sit for a week or two. Then rebottle. Let the bottles stan up straight for a couple of days then let them rest on the side.
Good luck

If you don't want to dump and start over you could set the bottles upright in a plastic bin with a cover. If that doesn't work (blown corks) then it's time to start over.

If your corks are seeping through the middle it sounds to me like bad corks. A gassy wine will not make your wine weap through the corks although temp fluctuations may do this to.

yes it is fizzy and the head space is good the ones i did open i started to open like a day early and was much better but that was before i noticed the leaking so i was wondering if i should do any thing like recork or what

Start drinking FASTER ! .. LOL

What Wade said. It is strange that the corks are seeping through the center. You said, "it", is seeping. Is this one bottle or many bottles? If it is one bottle, drink it. If it is many bottles then xanxer82 is right.

Latest posts

Back