Cork problems ...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlD

Don't Worry , Be Happy !
Reaction score
I have some stability peoblem with my frontenac blanc bottled on 2016-08
All the bottle have a haze and sediment . Wine Taste is good . The corks seem to have mold inside the bottle . Bottle has been sanitizing with star-san and cork with sulfite
This is a wine problem or cork ?

image.jpg

cork just look wet to me....sediment in bottle was you in a rush and you bottled before the wine had cleared all the way....I have too! It went in looking clear as a bell and then weeks later a little dust on the bottom. I say, if it tastes good, you are good!

I have some stability peoblem with my frontenac blanc bottled on 2016-08
All the bottle have a haze and sediment . Wine Taste is good . The corks seem to have mold inside the bottle . Bottle has been sanitizing with star-san and cork with sulfite
This is a wine problem or cork ?

Did you back sweeten before bottling? Is there pressure in the bottles? Could also be that a little renewed fermentation occurred in the bottle if you have a little pressure in there.

I have bottled wine 10 month after fermentation. I have back sweeten this batch of frontenac blanc and added sorbate . I have exactly the same problem with my chardonnay, same cork , but my chardonnay is dry , no backsweeten

Does it settle out after a few days of no movement? If so, I suspect just sediment. Did you filter? If it doesn't seem to settle, it could be a protein haze. I'm with the others, cork looks fine. Are there any off orders?

To me, the cork looks stained about half way. If this is the case, and it looks that way in the bottle, it is not normal. What # corks are you using? I use #9 corks because I didn't feel the #8 corks sealed well enough. I think I have read here, some time ago, that someone got a kit with #7 corks. My red wine corks are never stained more than a 1/4 inch or so up the cork.

As for sediment, I agree with the others here, and I think you just bottled too early.

Nearly 15 min . I will check cork size tomorow. And yes is settle out after few days

The cork in the pic looks fine to me. Just need to filter the wine (lose some flavor and taste) or rack it more. I rack my wines at least 4 times over a year. And i am very gentle when I rack.

Latest posts

Back