Cork issues and hacks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get a discussion going on corks, which do you use, problems with them and hacks for removing troublesome corks.

I have a wine that is about 4-5 years or so in the bottle and topped with a 3-piece, "Premium Quality" corks. They are without a doubt the worst corks I have ever used. They are a PITA to removed and frequently break during removal. I have even had some of the "end discs" break of during insertion (with an Italian floor corker). I talked to my supplier, Label Peelers, to see if they had changed suppliers because I had used the 3-piece cork in the past with virtually no issues. They said they had not changed suppliers. I then called their supplier, L. D. Carlson, and they told me that they had changed suppliers and were getting the corks from a new source. Since this debacle began, I have moved to Nomacorcs for virtually all of my wine.

Q: Has anyone else had an issue with 3-piece corks?
Q: What corks do you use for storage of at least 3 years?

I have developed a few hacks to get the corks out after breaking two corkscrews. The one that seems to work best is to heat the glass against the cork and to run a thin bladed knife around the top edge of the cork before using a simple waiter's corkscrew like this:
1656956543943.png
I am not sure if the heat or the knife, or both, is easing the problem.

Q: What hacks do you use to remove stuck (not broken) corks?
Q: What type of corkscrew do you use?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Just wanted to get a discussion going on corks, which do you use, problems with them and hacks for removing troublesome corks.

I have a wine that is about 4-5 years or so in the bottle and topped with a 3-piece, "Premium Quality" corks. They are without a doubt the worst corks I have ever used. They are a PITA to removed and frequently break during removal. I have even had some of the "end discs" break of during insertion (with an Italian floor corker). I talked to my supplier, Label Peelers, to see if they had changed suppliers because I had used the 3-piece cork in the past with virtually no issues. They said they had not changed suppliers. I then called their supplier, L. D. Carlson, and they told me that they had changed suppliers and were getting the corks from a new source. Since this debacle began, I have moved to Nomacorcs for virtually all of my wine.

Q: Has anyone else had an issue with 3-piece corks?
Q: What corks do you use for storage of at least 3 years?

I have developed a few hacks to get the corks out after breaking two corkscrews. The one that seems to work best is to heat the glass against the cork and to run a thin bladed knife around the top edge of the cork before using a simple waiter's corkscrew like this:
View attachment 90240
I am not sure if the heat or the knife, or both, is easing the problem.

Q: What hacks do you use to remove stuck (not broken) corks?
Q: What type of corkscrew do you use?

Thank you for your help.

I have had some breakage of bi-disc corks (as I think you and I discussed previously). My problems do not seem as bad as the ones you have encountered. The only thing I have done in response is to try to remember to run my corkscrew ALL THE WAY through the cork. I'd rather have a little cork debris in my wine than deal with a broken cork.

The other comment is that I find I strongly prefer a double-hinged waiter's corkscrew (i.e., a Pulltap or Pulltex). I find that the hinge in the fulcrum "arm" keeps the fulcrum snugly against the bottle on the first pull. Then the second pull is very short and very simple.

31WOUaJR9aL._AC_SS450_.jpg

I use a waiter's corkscrew -- mine I got from Bolla as a promotion (42 years ago). Another choice is to use a cork pull, where the blades can be slid around the cork to loosen it.

I've been using Nomacorcs and have no interest in switching, as they solve too many problems.

I've never heard any corking tool requirements. Should I be reading cork instructions? I've always used a double arm hand corker without any issue, except for the dimple.

When it says Nomacorcs can only be used for (Machine corking) does that include the cheap double-lever corkers included in my wine making kit? Or can I tell my wife I HAVE TO buy a floor corker?
Tell your wife that some dude on the internet told you that you MUST have a floor corker!

I use an Italian floor corker and Nomacorcs go in with no problem. I helped my son with a batch -- we used a double-level corker, and it also worked fine, other than making me appreciate my floor corker. Folks have reported that the Portuguese floor corkers with plastic jaws score the Nomacorcs.

The commonly available ones that don't list a part number appear to be the 1.5" long Select 900. These are rated for 5 years, and for vendor liability protection, I expect they're good for 7 years. I started using them in the spring 2017, so I've got 4 yo bottles that are fine.

The problem with corks is not leakage, it's O2 ingress. As the corks (all corks) age, they allow greater amounts of O2 into the wine. Personally, I'm not concerned. The amount of any batch I have left at the 7 year mark will be minor, and if I feel concerned I'll recork any remaining bottles.

Rocky, I too have had issues with 3 piece corks. I’ve gone back to my old stand by. L D Carlson #9 by 1.5 “ they are cheap Label Peelers has them on sale now for $10.70 per 100 ! Amazon is usually 12-14 $$ per 100. We have pulled these corks out of 9 year old Amarone, 10 year old Apple and many other wines over 6 -8 years old with NO issues . Just saying. Roy

Rocky, I too have had issues with 3 piece corks. I’ve gone back to my old stand by. L D Carlson #9 by 1.5 “ they are cheap Label Peelers has them on sale now for $10.70 per 100 ! Amazon is usually 12-14 $$ per 100. We have pulled these corks out of 9 year old Amarone, 10 year old Apple and many other wines over 6 -8 years old with NO issues . Just saying. Roy
Amazing. I thought the 1.5’s were good for two years max.

Nomacorcs eliminate cork concerns. I've been using them exclusively for over 2 years and won't use any other cork, Perfect seals, flawless with no impact on wine flavour or smell i.e. what else do you want. I buy mine in bags of 500 because I make wines with a lot of serious winemakers. These corks are a no-brainer. Use up any corks that you have and then buy these.

Namaste

Back