cork confusion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else heard of storing bottles upside down in the box? That would certainly prevent the cork from drying out!
Other than the first week after bottling to let the pressure equalize, if I have to store in cases, I store upside down. If the cork is gonna leak, it's gonna leak then.

After bottling and corking I always put them upside down in the cases. No science behind it- just made sense.
I never calculated it out but I believe with a deep punt, storing upside-down has less surface area in contact with the gases trapped in the bottle than on it's side (I'm sure it's more than upright though).

I never calculated it out but I believe with a deep punt, storing upside-down has less surface area in contact with the gases trapped in the bottle than on it's side (I'm sure it's more than upright though).
Given that bottle time is measured in at least months, often years, I don't expect that surface area makes any difference. Anything in the air in the bottle WILL contact the wine.

Back