Cork bag delivery dilemma

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homer

Reaction score
Received a 100 count bag of 2 + 2 corks from supplier other day, the bag had a slit in it, asked to return them and ordered two more bags, was told very graciously to keep them and they sent out two more. I think if they go in the old "cork-a-dore" they would be OK for some whites but what are your thoughts. bk

I buy my corks in bags oh 100 pieces.
I open the bag and use 30 for a batch when bottling.

The bag is then open and just sits waiting till I bottle my next batch, which can be months later. I close it by folding the plastic back till it looks closed and put a rubber band over it.

I have done this since the beginning I started winemaking and never had any problems. Even with my wines that stay in my cellar for several years there never has been a problem.

Most of the winemaking techniques which we adapt are from professional winemakers who extremely exaggerate their procedures from a commercial point of view. Meaning that they can not affort to lose a batch or to bring bad bottles in the market. The would loose their customers and theit income.

We are hobbyists so do not overdo it.

Luc

the last Corks I bought were horrible. I bought them off eBay. 100 count. they were so dry!!! Its a good thing I put then on the ready drink Island Mist Green Apple!! that don't last long at all. They split when I tried to uncork them... they were a hot mess. Broke into. I will not buy them again!! Im going to synthetic corks from now on!!

Last edited:
What are 2+2 corks? Are they the same as 1+1 but with thicker cork rings?

I always leave my corks in the bag they came in once opened and never had a problem as well.

I buy from Amazon in 1000 count lots (for less than $85 delivered). Here is a link for those interested: http://www.amazon.com/Premium-VS1-Agglomerated-Corks-1000-Count/dp/B002VFXY3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372249586&sr=8-1&keywords=1000+%239+wine+making+corks

When I receive them, I break the bag down into 100 count bags and either vacuum seal them (with my Food Saver) or put them in ZipLoc bags. I usually "gang" my bottling operation so that I have all that equipment and mess to clean up at one time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy by the 100 count bag, use 30 or so at a time and keep them in a ziplock bag. I have never had any trouble with them. You need to try to get fresh corks, i.e. ones that have not sat on a shelf for a long time. GEM

Tess---Years ago, we had several batches of corks that split when uncorking bottles. They were sort of hollow inside. After that, we went to the Noma Cork and have used them ever since. I really prefer this synthetic above all others and certainly above a real cork. The real corks that commercial winemakers use seem to be such good quality--but WE could never find corks as good as those so we just gave up on them. There's no variation in a synthetic cork, like there can be in a real cork.

I too buy my corks in 1000 count (RJS's sale). What a good idea Rocky in using your food saver when bagging

That's another advantage to the Noma Cork---they don't dry out in storage like real corks do. We buy them 1000 at a time too and just put a twist tie on the bag.

That's another advantage to the Noma Cork---they don't dry out in storage like real corks do. We buy them 1000 at a time too and just put a twist tie on the bag.

Real wine makers don't use fake corks! :)

LMAO Just kidding I couldn't help it. Noma corks do have there place and I know wineries that only use Noma corks.

Lots of commercial makers use synthetic corks too. Look at it this way--we're saving the cork trees!!!

Latest posts

Back