Cool Observation between Fresh Juice and Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I noticed this pretty cool observation whenever I add oak to wine kits and fresh juice. Pretty sure these are tartrate crystals and I notice them form with the fresh juice kits...with the wine kits the oak just gets stained red. Not saying anything bad about the kits but it's definitely cool to see this. Reminds me of the pictures I see of cellar workers in those large wooden containers scraping the sides.

Edit...to clarify, this is a difference between these two kits

Attachments

• WineDiamonds.jpeg
    WineDiamonds.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 50
  • WineDiamonds2.jpeg
    WineDiamonds2.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 47
  • WineDiamonds3.jpeg
    WineDiamonds3.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Thanks Mike. Question. What is recommended for a 6 gallon carboy? Use all 3 sticks? For how long? Are they one time use?
Yeah use all three pieces, the shorter piece is primarily used to hold the longer pieces and connect to the bung. It doesn't play that much of a role in flavoring but it is toasted.

I'm actually doing a study now for the dosage. I have 3 wine kits going that I recently purchased. What I plan to do is document how many days it took to start tasting the oak and when it is completely saturates the wine. The other two kits I'm going to use to see how effective it would be to reuse it, again documenting when you start to taste it and when it saturates the wine with oak flavor.

Once I get all that information I'm going to post that on here.

Yeah use all three pieces, the shorter piece is primarily used to hold the longer pieces and connect to the bung. It doesn't play that much of a role in flavoring but it is toasted.

I'm actually doing a study now for the dosage. I have 3 wine kits going that I recently purchased. What I plan to do is document how many days it took to start tasting the oak and when it is completely saturates the wine. The other two kits I'm going to use to see how effective it would be to reuse it, again documenting when you start to taste it and when it saturates the wine with oak flavor.

Once I get all that information I'm going to post that on here.
That would be great. I have recently read about oak and your product looks good. I primarily have used oak spirals and wine stix. Oak spirals are extracted in 6 weeks and are a one time use. Wine stix are 3-4 months for extraction and can be re used if scrubbed down w a sanitized metal brush.
Please keep me updated on your findings.

Latest posts

Back