Converting/Increasing Recipes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTS

Reaction score
Can all ingredients for a 1 gallon recipe simply be multiplied by 5 to arrive at a 5 gallon recipe. If not, what measures need to change. I am sure this conversion is probably recipe specific, so the particular one I am looking at is from Jack Keller's web site:

APPLE WINE (4) [Heavy bodied]
1 gallon pure apple juice (no preservatives)
1 lb. granuated sugar
1-1/2 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp tannin
1 crushed Campden tablet
Champagne yeast and nutrient

I know I will need to add sugar based on a measured SG and increase the Campden, it's mainly the other ingredients I am wondering about.

Thanks,
Greg

just multiply everything by 5 unless the package of the ingedient says otehr wise. and DO NOT and more yeast. one package is fine for 5 gallons.

Yes but if using Jacks recipies double or triple the #'s per gallon. Ck here 1st as we all make all kinds of fruit. I use a min of 6#'s per gal. some more like apples as they have alot of water.

Tom is right but I urge you to ALWAYS measure acidity and SG.

One years harvest can have a totally different acidity and SG as another years harvest.
I noticed that with my plums:

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/08/pruimentijd-2009-plums-again.html

No 2 juices are the same.
Different brand, kind of fruit, seasonal differences etc can drastically change the outcome of your measurements.

Best way is to measure the juice and adjust acidity and SG to acceptable levels and then add yeast.

Luc

Latest posts

Back