Convert crusher/destemmer to destemmer-only?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VictorV

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have an older Ares15 crusher/destemmer and was wondering if anyone has ever tried to remove/disable the
"crusher" component so it can be used as a destemmer only.

I'd like to sort my grapes before crush and it seems like it would be easier if they were separated
from the stems first.

Or, is it just easier to sort while still on the stems?

Victor

Yep. This is actually a technique used by the pros often I’ve read. To remove the rollers and use as destemmer only. For the purpose of whole berry fermentations. As opposed to whole cluster with the stems.

It stretches out the ferment using different techniques like with using co2 In the tank—I forget the term but it’s pretty interesting stuff.
And then after pressing and breaking up the rest of the berries that haven’t been broken from destemming or fermentation- releases all the new juice to keep on fermenting.

If you look up whole berry fermentation you’ll see all kinds of literature about it.

I was actually still planning to crush the grapes by running it through the crusher/destemmer
but after the grapes had been sorted. I could also just destem and crush manually since everyone that
has offered to help wants to stomp the grapes. So far I have been sticking to my rule that there
will be no feet in my grapes but maybe I should consider changing that :)

Victor

Everyone seems to have their own unique sorting practices. Few hundred lbs can be alot of work depending how particular ya get

I will get my dad and brother with rubber latex gloves and have a table set up with buckets on the ground. They just put the grapes from the case to the bucket cluster by cluster. Removing leaves, bugs, ugly looking clusters etc. (usually we have minimal waste) If a section is bad and easily ripped off then they will do it. (Unless fingers are frozen numb which happens!) Or they’ll ask. I’m not sure what the benefit would be to destem before sorting though.

I don’t know for sure but willing to bet even with removing the crusher rollers that a portion of berries will still break open- enough for those whole-berry ferment people to be comfortable to add yeast- I mean, they need at least some juice to start right? Might be a big ol mess to attempt sorting this way IMHO.

Hi Everyone,
I have an older Ares15 crusher/destemmer and was wondering if anyone has ever tried to remove/disable the
"crusher" component so it can be used as a destemmer only.

I'd like to sort my grapes before crush and it seems like it would be easier if they were separated
from the stems first.

Or, is it just easier to sort while still on the stems?

Victor

You will just HAVE to pony up for one of these :)

If I'm not mistaking our C/Ds are crusher/destemmers and the larger commercial units are destemmer/crushers. When I go to work tomorrow I'm going to look inside their crusher and see if I can figure out the difference. I'm not sure removing the rollers would do much, widening them if possible might work.

I believe the term is carbonic maceration.

If I'm not mistaking our C/Ds are crusher/destemmers and the larger commercial units are destemmer/crushers. When I go to work tomorrow I'm going to look inside their crusher and see if I can figure out the difference. I'm not sure removing the rollers would do much, widening them if possible might work.

I believe the term is carbonic maceration.
I read about it somewhere before but can’t remember exactly where. Meaning it was specifically referenced about removing the rollers of C/D.
But I may be mistaken and very well could have been referencing only D/C. Regardless, this manual breaks down the differences rather well.
https://morewinemaking.com/articles/Choosing_a_crusher

I read about it somewhere before but can’t remember exactly where. Meaning it was specifically referenced about removing the rollers of C/D.
But I may be mistaken and very well could have been referencing only D/C. Regardless, this manual breaks down the differences rather well.
https://morewinemaking.com/articles/Choosing_a_crusher
It really does, I just have to see the difference in the operation. Not exactly how the D/C works.

Hi,

One year gone, two grape harvest seasons... I just asking anyone tried to removing the rubber from crusher/destermer machine?

I have a similar Italian machine, with nylon rollers, and I thinking about to remove these rollers on the next season for both red and white grapes. Have any experience with that?

Regardless, this manual breaks down the differences rather well.

That was a very good link, to get basic comparison of the different types of tools.

But...

Yes, here comes my "but", because I can at time be a bit of a "but head"....

I find it interesting that the "assumption" and claim is that no stems makes a better must. I personally do not agree with that. Rather, I simply say it makes a different wine, but "better"? Well... I consider that simply an opinion. Of course one may prefer their wine from grapes stemmed but not crushed. Wonderful. I simply am not one of them myself. 🙃

Latest posts

Back