conversion of grape weight

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branko

Junior
Reaction score
hello,

whats the maximum grape weight that i can put into 1000 L fermentor with a variable volume top?

If you are talking reds, it should do 1200-1500 pounds and still leave room for the cap to rise. It depends on the variety somewhat but this will get you in the ballpark.

So a rough estimation is for every pound of crushed red grapes you need a 1.2-1.5 liters of space? So a hundred pound batch would require 120-150 liters of space?

that just don't sound right to me, I can get 30+ pounds of crushed grapes in a 5 gallon pail. Granted that don't leave room for fermentation and the cap to rise but at 1.2l per pound calculates out to about a 10 gallon primary for 30lbs of grapes. This would only fill a 10 gallon primary about 1/2 full. I would think you could get a bit more in there than that.
I do not have the experience that Grapeman does with large quaintness and I am inclined to believe he knows what he is talking about however I wonder if it is not as simple as dividing 1200lbs by 1000L? I wonder if this needs to be an ascending calculation?

No, I said that you can get around 1.2 to 1.5 pounds of grapes in a liter if you read what I wrote about 1000 liters holds 1200-1500 pouunds. Therefore a 100 liter tanks would hold 120-150 pounds of grapes. 30 pounds would fill about 20 to 25 liters or about 5 gallons just like duster says.

Latest posts

Back