contaminated or something else

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLSTRPHKR2012

Junior
Reaction score
wine has a slight "chemical" smell and taste. while we have drank several cases of it with no ill effect (at least not yet) it is noticeable, and not wanting to dump it all. is it possible that while aging the chilean wine in 5 & 6 gal carboys under airlock back in July 2011, i was refinishing hardwood floors in my house using oil based finish, that the fumes could have infiltrated the airlocks and the wine? carboys were located in basement. i had 12 carboys of various varieties and bottling back in sept 2012 i noticed the smell & taste.
i switched to 'one step' cleaner and sanitizer which i have read is actually
a form of hyd perox. could this be a cause?
also i very heavily oaked with fr. & am cubes ( approx 6-8oz per carboy and left on for 10-12 weeks.
the california wine i started back in sept 2011 (after remodling) and bottle at he same time is fine.
i still have 20 cases left of the chilean and sure as chit dont want to dump.
any advice would be appreciated.

I would think it unlikely that the refinishing had any effect on the wine provided you had the wine properly topped off and sealed with a trap and stopper.

Have you tried to airate the wine? Does the tast improve when you decant for a while?

What I need is a better description of the off taste...

Does it taste like smoke or perhaps the smell of a hot tar roof (mercaptans)?
Does it taste almost floral? Perhaps oxidized?

I also assume that is is not a kit? Correct?

Does it taste metallic?

I don't think the flooring fumes could get in, unless your airlocks were not full, you spilled water into each carboy or you opened them before the fumes were gone. All of which seem unlikely.

these were 23l juice buckets from CA. malbec cabs merlot pinot noir carmenere chard blanc. they were fermented 10-12 days to .998, then racked(no sulfite yet) for 3 weeks to finish dry at .992.. racked again(added sulfite but no sorbate) oaked for 10-12 weeks racked and degassed, aged for 16 mos. racked 2x to clear. did not any fining agents to clear before bottling. im a fanatic about cleaning and sanitizing. not opened during the refinishing. i decanted with very little difference. smell and taste slighty like paint thinner which is why i thought the oil based finishes. tried pouring over copper also as i've read hear. i may not have degased as much as i should have or let sit on the oak for too long and the wood got musty of something?

My vote would be that you have a mercaptan issue.

Here is how to tell.

Add ascorbic acid to a sample, swirl and wait a minute, then add your copper, swirl and wait a minute.

check the sample against your untreated wine. see if there is an improvement.

Latest posts

Back