Contaminated air lock

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

orejunky

Reaction score
Is this bad or can I just leave it? I was think I can change it out once or twice a day while the primary fermentation is going as the pressure inside the bottle should keep out the air and any air that is in there would quickly get expelled from the co2. Thoughts?

Amanda660

Haven't met a grape I didn't like!
Reaction score
I do not know if I'm right or wrong but I have a fresh airlock prepped and do the pull out put in #. Lord knows I don't handle anything gross so if my airlock has gross in it....it is out!

orejunky

Reaction score
Ok....i grabbed a small wine thief and took some out just so that it didn't happen again.

Johny99

Reaction score
That should do it. Headspace is hard to judge preferment. Sometimes you just have to adjust.

orejunky

Reaction score
I was just a little curious and thought I would experiment a little, simply because I had an extra packet of yeast on hand. So I bought two bottles of PC brand mango peach 100% juice with one cup of sugar added. I don't know what will happen but that's the exciting part.

1481796885845.jpg

Kraffty

Reaction score
If you're still in your primary fermentation you don't need the airlock at all. Just cover it with a towel or something loose until you do your first racking, then you can put the airlock back on without much trouble.
Mike

orejunky

Reaction score
Thanks krafty...good to know. I should have done that for about a day or two. It has settled into a steady bubble now. About one a second

orejunky

Reaction score
So just a word of warning....that juice has preservatives that are not listed in the ingredients list...good thing it was only an experiment