Considering a wine cave. Thoughts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok. So after a few weeks of reading everything I can find online about "wine caves" and underground construction. I currently have a 400+ vine vineyard with potential room to expand. I have been making wine in a room downstairs in my home but have decided it is time for a dedicated space with more room. I live on 6+ acres and have a good area where I have a sloping hillside and am considering approximately a 15x25 room/building where I can excavate the hillside, pour a slab, build block walls, pour a roof and backfill around and over the top with a few feet of dirt. Kind of like a root cellar on steroids. This space will have to work as a mini wine lab and longer term barrel storage.
Does anyone have any experience doing anything like this? Or any links to something like this.
Thank you for any good input you have!

It will take you some searching on this site, but there was a member a few years back that did the same thing as you are planning and documented it well on the site. I believe the person was in either North or South Carolina and it was probably 2 or 3 years ago.

Thank you for bringing that thread to my attention! I have spent some significant time looking through the existing threads.
I will be dong some more reading!

Latest posts

Back