Conical fermentor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex_D

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum and first time trying to make wine from a kit.

I recently got 2 double kits from Costco, Argentia Ridge Chardonnay that i started making a few days ago.

Since i've been brewing for a little while i already had access to some equipment and decided to make the 4 kits in my 28 gallon conical fermentor.

I have been reading the instructions and i'm having some doubts, so i wanted to double check with other people who are used to making these kit.

In the instructions it says that i should wait about 10 days for the primary fermentation, then transfer the wine into a different container for the secondary fermentation.

If its like when making beer, the transfer and secondary fermentation is mostly used to remove some of the sediment and help clear the "liquid" ?

Since im using a conical fermentor, in theory, i should be able to leave everything in place for the whole time it's fermenting and then remove the sediments with the valve at the bottom of my cone! Am i correct?

My plan was to wait for it to stop fermenting, remove the sediments and then use the stabilising and clearing agents like the potassium metabisulfate, the kieselsol and chitosan.

Do you think it will work or is there anything i don't know ?

thank you for your advice

Agree with John. I don't have conicals, but from what I've seen, that's exactly how I'd use one.

Thats how I do it. Remove the plug of compressed lees with the dump valve. Oh and dont forget to take the airlock off before you suck all the water into your wine. Not that I would have done that...

Latest posts

Back