Quantcast

WineXpert Confused

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Elizajean

Gaining experience one carboy at a time....
Reaction score
WE Eclipse SB step 4 instructions, racking and clarifying, say to add metabisulphite if you age wine more than six months. Do they mean if bulk aging, or does this mean total aging which includes in the bottles? These wines will spend years in the bottles, after the one month clarification. So, I'm not sure whether to add the meta or not. See upside photo of instruction. Thank you for your advice!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Julie

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I decided to check out these pics that are just way to big! I re-sized it to a 448 x 336 px using Microsoft Picture manager. Sorry I forgot to flip it.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Normally k-meta is added at the three day racking point. then every three months there after during bulk aging.

Elizajean

Gaining experience one carboy at a time....
Reaction score
Normally k-meta is added at the three day racking point. then every three months there after during bulk aging.
Thank you, so if not bulk aging (though highly recommended) there is no need to add additional k-meta for bottling even though bottles will age for years?

bkisel

Reaction score
Though it doesn't say "bulk" age I've always interpreted the instruction as meaning bulk aging.

ehammonds

Reaction score
If it’s been a month since your wine had a dose, and you are bottling the wine with the intent to age for a long time, adding an 1/8 tsp dose won’t hurt. This amount will still be far below commercial wines.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I would add 1/4 tsp per five gallons if it has been more than a month and prior to bottling