Confused about the process of fining

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliamSYKES

Junior
Reaction score
I usually make a 30-40 gallon batch of organic blueberry wine from the fruit off of my families blueberry operation every year. I usually just filter through a cheese cloth and wire strainer but I have noticed a smoky haze in my bottled wine after several months. This year I want to try fining my wine but I am a little confused. Do I need to filter my wine and place it back in a airtight container during the fining process? Everything I have read about fining had been about grape wine and I dont know if fining blueberry wine will alter my taste? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

I usually make a 30-40 gallon batch of organic blueberry wine from the fruit off of my families blueberry operation every year. I usually just filter through a cheese cloth and wire strainer but I have noticed a smoky haze in my bottled wine after several months. This year I want to try fining my wine but I am a little confused. Do I need to filter my wine and place it back in a airtight container during the fining process? Everything I have read about fining had been about grape wine and I dont know if fining blueberry wine will alter my taste? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

I recently finished and bottled a blueberry wine, you can review the thread here: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54269
There is a discussion amongst a few of us in there about fining blueberry. In the end, I allowed it to sit for a few months and racked off of sediment as it accumulated, filtered with polishing pads in the Buon Vino Super Jet, and let it sit a while longer. Finished up by adding final dose of KMS and sorbate, a little sugar to sweeten it, and into the bottle.

Thanks for the reply! That helps me out a lot. I read you thread on your blueberry batch. The last batch I made was year before last, lost our crop to a late freeze last spring so no berries for wine last year. My last recipe I called "Carolina Queen" 52lbs of Berries and 48lbs of sugar and mix with 30 gallons of water and I bottled 38 gallons of wine. Was a really good wine but I'm always looking to improve on my recipes and make a better wine. Going to try out several batches this year.

Latest posts

Back