concorde racking question?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigham

Reaction score
hello folks,

I have a batch of concordes racking in their final stages, the question I have is can I rack it to another carboy to aid in the sediment clearing?
Thanks

I reracked tonight to a new carboy and the wine is looking great took about a cup and half of sludge out of the old carboy so this helped tremendously and I must say my first ever batch is oh so tasty:D .

Is it welches concord? My welches concord came out really tart (tastes good, but not really like wine)

Yes, you want to rack to help clear the wine. Time is the best tool for clearing your wine. You can add Super-Klear or some Isinglass to aid in clearing faster but time works best. I don't know what size batch it is but just make sure you added sulfite's at the proper time to assure decent SO2 levels if you are doing a few rackings.

Is it welches concord? My welches concord came out really tart (tastes good, but not really like wine)

Mew, This is my very first time attempting to make wine, I purchased a home in 2005 august and in october harvested about 20 lbs of beautiful concord grapes. I gave them to freinds and neighbors as treats and ate about 3 lbs at once and was sickened and didnt want to see another grape again.:D I happened to give a few grapes to a home vintner and he said he sould show me the next year what to do with those beautiful grapes. The next spring rolled around and I started reading up on vines and asking the old country people I knew from the middle east and they taught me how to prune for perfection :p I had a beautiful batch of grapes growing and ended up with about 40 lbs of beauties that were sweet to taste. Thus began my very first attempt at making wine from scratch or wine from anything!! I am into april now and after 6 months, I have 5 gallons and a wonderful looking and tasteing wine (well to me anyway :rolleyes: ) but am told to let it sit in the carboy as long as I can to make it a ribbon winner!!

Yes, you want to rack to help clear the wine. Time is the best tool for clearing your wine. You can add Super-Klear or some Isinglass to aid in clearing faster but time works best. I don't know what size batch it is but just make sure you added sulfite's at the proper time to assure decent SO2 levels if you are doing a few rackings.

Smurfe, I added the campden tablets in the process at the begginning and then one more when I added the grape concentate about a month ago. It was kind of bitter or tarte tasteing but has calmed down now. I racked it again the other day after a month and took about a cup of sediment out and when I tasted the wine this time it was the best red I have ever tasted in my life.:D I am wondering what I should do bottle it now or let it sit another month or more, I heard that they do wine tasting fairs here in my small town and if it is this good to me maybe I should enter it and see if I have done the right thing!! what do u think about time frames! remember this is my very first ever and I have been , well kind of boasting about it for 6 months and I just want friends to finally say WOW he really did make it !!:cool: Thanks

Smurfe, by the way are you the same smurfe at FVW , I have been meaning to ask that!!:confused:

Back