Concord SG not dropping and no fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicol

Junior
Reaction score
Please Help!!!
I have attached my most recent concord recipe. It is currently in the primary bucket. I have pitched the yeast twice already. No drop in the SG and no signs of fermention.... :(

Attachments

• 1417BA36-B906-413F-8EBF-576EC5B0EF3E.jpeg
    1417BA36-B906-413F-8EBF-576EC5B0EF3E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • E6170AFF-17F8-4B50-95F3-72154ACEDD25.jpeg
    E6170AFF-17F8-4B50-95F3-72154ACEDD25.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
That is strange! Can you tell us what yeast you are using, how old the package was, and exactly what your "pitching protocol" is? (I mean, do you sprinkle the dry yeast on top, or do you rehydrate it?)

That is strange! Can you tell us what yeast you are using, how old the package was, and exactly what your "pitching protocol" is? (I mean, do you sprinkle the dry yeast on top, or do you rehydrate it?)
I use Red Star Premier Classique Active Dry Yeast. Before pitching the yeast I will rehydrate in a little bit of water about 95-100 degrees, stir and let that sit for about 20 minutes. I have used this yeast before and it is not expired. It is stored in my refrigerator.
Could the PH have anything to cause these problems?
Thank you for the help!

When I first read this, early this morning. I wondered if you had checked the pH. It can sometimes be an issue if you followed the recipe, without taking into account that your grapes are different than the grapes that the recipe writer used.
Well I thought this recipe seemed off a little but I have attached the recipe which came from a very popular book. The other is the instructions that were on the next page of the book.

Attachments

• D8C9CC55-BAF1-4087-8FED-956B2533DE1E.jpeg
    D8C9CC55-BAF1-4087-8FED-956B2533DE1E.jpeg
    668.2 KB · Views: 14
How long has it been sense first yeast was pitched
What is the must temperture
Where did the juice come from.
Regardless of these answers I'd be doing a starter by now.
I suspect cold must or sorbate in your juice

How long has it been sense first yeast was pitched
What is the must temperture
Where did the juice come from.
Regardless of these answers I'd be doing a starter by now.
I suspect cold must or sorbate in your juice
Not sure I follow all of the terms used in your comment? Sorry still new to some of this.
The room temperature is 72 degrees. I am on the 6th day after pitching the first yeast and 2 days out from pitching the second yeast. The juice was freshly squeezed juice from a family member that has grapes. What you mean by doing a starter by now?
Thanks

Last edited:
I noticed the recipe calls for using distilled water in the primary, that's fine, but did you use distilled water to rehydrate the yeast? If so, re-pitch yeast after rehydrating with tap water.

@Nicol for a yeast starter you would rehydrate your yeast with warm water, i use tap, after twenty minutes or so i add a mixture of yeast neutreants, i use fermaid k, and sugar water in a 2 quart jar( total volume about a quart). Stir and let sit until it is obviously doing its thing, foaming and bubbling away. You can add some must to it also. Leave room for foaming. Usually a couple hours, you could start a day ahead. Add that to your must.
I have developed a routine that works for me, i have no doubt ( i know for a fact) others do it a bit differantly. Check out jackkeller.net good reading on yeast needs there.
The idea is that it is tougher to stop an active fermintation

My batch is finally fermenting(bubbling/fizzing). Now just waiting to hopefully see the SG fall. Will keep you posted. Thanks for all the support!

@Nicol for a yeast starter you would rehydrate your yeast with warm water, i use tap, after twenty minutes or so i add a mixture of yeast neutreants, i use fermaid k, and sugar water in a 2 quart jar( total volume about a quart). Stir and let sit until it is obviously doing its thing, foaming and bubbling away. You can add some must to it also. Leave room for foaming. Usually a couple hours, you could start a day ahead. Add that to your must.
I have developed a routine that works for me, i have no doubt ( i know for a fact) others do it a bit differantly. Check out jackkeller.net good reading on yeast needs there.
The idea is that it is tougher to stop an active fermintation
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back