Concord Grape Concentrate Suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txlbbguy

Larry
Reaction score
I am about to start a batch of Welches Concord Grape concentrate wine. I have read many of the recipes and picked one I like. With my recipe, I know I am going to:
1. use 3 cans per gallon for better body
2. start with a SG at 1.080 so I will get about 12% alcohol so it doesn't overpower the fruit taste
3. oak it with some american oak cubes.

It has been a long time since I have made one of these, so does anyone have any other suggestions or tips on what you did with your version of this to make it better?

I make it 5 to 6 gallons at a time, I mix 15 cans with 45 cans water, add 3 extra cans concentrate in it add sugar and yeast.

This sounds like my recipe...I am using 18 cans for 6 gallons and then sugar to get the SG up to the level I want. Yeast recommendations?

@ txlbbguy I tend to use similar ratios to dralarms in most of my brewing from concentrates, adding a bit more if i want some extra body and don't very often get a wine I dislike, I think its a good rule of thumb ratio.

Another good guide, roughly, one litre of juice is equivalent to 6 lbs of fruit, if basing your wine, on a wine produced from a pressed fruit recipie. Meaning you can read, real fruit content from other peoples wines and work out roughly equivalent amounts of juice to add.

I think your extra cans, will definitely add some character, as you rightly say.

Last edited:
@ txlbbguy I tend to use similar ratios to dralarms in most of my brewing from concentrates, adding a bit more if i want some extra body and don't very often get a wine I dislike, I think its a good rule of thumb ratio.

Another good guide, roughly, one litre of juice is equivalent to 6 lbs of fruit, if basing your wine, on a wine produced from a pressed fruit recipie. Meaning you can read, real fruit content from other peoples wines and work out roughly equivalent amounts of juice to add.

I think your extra cans, will definitely add some character, as you rightly say.

Thanks! I did not know that about the equivalency of juice to lbs of fruit. That does help when looking at some other recipes for fruit that only use fresh fruit. This will be my first attempt at a wine from concentrate so hopefully it will go well. Thats why I was asking about any "tweeks" others may have given their concentrate wines.

I vote for the 1122 as well. It does well with concord.

My experience so far with Concord is make it stronger than you think you're going to want it. If there isn't enough alcohol in it it tends to taste musty. At least this is my own experience, but I've only been making wine about a year. Have made a few batches of Concord though already. I thought it was pretty good about 15%.

I am about to start a batch of Welches Concord Grape concentrate wine. I have read many of the recipes and picked one I like. With my recipe, I know I am going to:
1. use 3 cans per gallon for better body
2. start with a SG at 1.080 so I will get about 12% alcohol so it doesn't overpower the fruit taste
3. oak it with some american oak cubes.

It has been a long time since I have made one of these, so does anyone have any other suggestions or tips on what you did with your version of this to make it better?

Do a search on here for jswordy's Super Sugar Method. This is the only one I use when making Welchs Concord concentrate. In a nutshell, you use 4 cans per gallon, finish with approx. 13 -14% ABV. It uses RC-212 yeast. No need with this one to measure TA or pH. It turns out tasting just liking drinking Welchs grape juice with a kick. It is very similar to Mogen David, Manischewitz, etc. All my sweet wine drinkers love it. Too sweet for my liking.

edit:
I found the link for you.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36379&highlight=super+sugar+method

I see nothing.
I say nothing.

Nothing!

images

Do a search on here for jswordy's Super Sugar Method. This is the only one I use when making Welchs Concord concentrate. In a nutshell, you use 4 cans per gallon, finish with approx. 13 -14% ABV. It uses RC-212 yeast. No need with this one to measure TA or pH. It turns out tasting just liking drinking Welchs grape juice with a kick. It is very similar to Mogen David, Manischewitz, etc. All my sweet wine drinkers love it. Too sweet for my liking.

edit:
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36379&highlight=super+sugar+method

I've used that recipe and I like it better. I calculated mine to finish at 1.015 SG.

I've used that recipe and I like it better. I calculated mine to finish at 1.015 SG.

You must start yours a little lower or use a different yeast.

I always start mine around 1.140 -1.150 and can never get it below 1.025 - 1.030, which is fine. Gives it 14%'ish ABV and keeps it plenty sweet for wife and her friends.

edit:

Awww, and I see DJ posted this on my birthday, too! Thanks! :dg

Awww, and I see DJ posted this on my birthday, too! Thanks! :dg

Well in honor of your birthday I started my first concord using your exact recipe! Its going great and no issues so far, so thanks again for the recipe...and for having it shared on your birthday. I am guessing that you probably officially turned 21 this time, you can legally enjoy your wine :)

Well in honor of your birthday I started my first concord using your exact recipe! Its going great and no issues so far, so thanks again for the recipe...and for having it shared on your birthday. I am guessing that you probably officially turned 21 this time, you can legally enjoy your wine :)

Oh no, still underage! Shhhhh! :h

Latest posts

Back