concerns about my OG SG readings...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
The initial SG reading was weird for both of my juices this evening. If I am reading it correctly, the Amarone was 1.048 and the Brunello 1.042. The Amarone was fizzing a bit from a vent at the top of the pail. Both are "fresh" juices not kits. It was stored in "below freezing" temp according to the vendor. I felt that possibly both had already fermented to some extent... They weren't quite as sweet as my must from grapes in past years...

Shouldn't initial SG readings be around 1.070 to 1.100?

I am concerned. What should I do?

After running several years of QA on buckets that the vinters club orders, ,, the starting gravity should be 1.089 to 1.092, juice suppliers are extremely consistent. Yes we occasionally see buckets that are actively fermenting, and the club doesn’t have the ability to refrigerate pallets of juice so it is a risk. With active ferments the reports are that folks have not been able to kill the wild yeast so they add yeast on top of that.
in past years...Shouldn't initial SG readings be around 1.070 to 1.100?

After running several years of QA on buckets that the vinters club orders, ,, the starting gravity should be 1.089 to 1.092, juice suppliers are extremely consistent. Yes we occasionally see buckets that are actively fermenting, and the club doesn’t have the ability to refrigerate pallets of juice so it is a risk. With active ferments the reports are that folks have not been able to kill the wild yeast so they add yeast on top of that.

do you known if they were able to achieve a desirable end product in the cases where fermentation was underway? What was the final SG?

Back