Concerned...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAB

Reaction score
Just got 440lbs of Petit Sirah today. Overall the grapes looked good...no rot. Yielded about 27-29 gallons of must. However...

PH 4.15
TA 5.5-6.0 (Morewine kit not so easy to get an exact reading)
Brix 22

I'm concerned about the PH. Yes, I calibrated my Lamotte PH meter several times to verify the reading was indeed correct. So, what to do with such a high PH reading? I dusted the lot of it with 1.75 tsp of sodium metabisulfite and plan on inoculating the must tomorrow with BM45. But doubt lingers.

NorCal,

Thank you for the tip. So, I'm going to add tartaric acid to the must to adjust it some, but not necessarily all the way, towards the goal of 3.6, as I'm concerned I'll overshoot. Presumably, I can make additional adjustments as necessary after primary and ML fermentations. Is that the approach you'd take?

Again, thank you for the advice...I'm new to this hobby and so I'm all ears.
Dab

Hi
Thats pretty odd that you got such low brix with high ph. I had a similiar issue before and i adusted it all the way 3.5 prior to innoculation. That year i was not happy with the wine. After some research, i found not to adjust more than .2 last year when i crushed i took my readings and my must read 3.9 so i adjusted to 3.7 and i am pretty satisifies with the results.

Also keep in mind that when it starts fermenting, the PH will increase. Best way to get a reading is to take a sample and put it in the blender then take a reading

Just got 440lbs of Petit Sirah today. Overall the grapes looked good...no rot. Yielded about 27-29 gallons of must. However...

PH 4.15
TA 5.5-6.0 (Morewine kit not so easy to get an exact reading)
Brix 22

I'm concerned about the PH. Yes, I calibrated my Lamotte PH meter several times to verify the reading was indeed correct. So, what to do with such a high PH reading? I dusted the lot of it with 1.75 tsp of sodium metabisulfite and plan on inoculating the must tomorrow with BM45. But doubt lingers.

Where did you get the grapes?

This is my first time with this supplier. "S & S Winegrapes and Equipment Co." in Jessup Md.

upload_2019-9-15_15-45-18.jpeg

Latest posts

Back