Compliments to those wine makers who share their knowledge

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
I just want to to say thank you to everyone in this forum. This site provides "virtual" apprenticeships to those of us with less experience. If we cannot actually work with master winemakers we can learn from from the folk in this forum who are all so willing to share thoughts and ideas that they have acquired through trial and error and through their contact with other experienced and seasoned winemakers. Thank you.

And everyone has unique experiences. I have learned so much from the folks hear. I echo your comments. Thanks everyone.

Bernard you are so right. I have also learned so much from this forum and I continue to do so. There is no way one person has all of the knowledge. As Greg said everyone has a unique experience.

I think that's why we belong to wine forums---thru the discussions we not only teach one another but we learn from one another,also. A wine club may only meet once a month---but we have access to one another in the forum on almost a constant basis. There's always help available for those that need an answer quickly. I think that's one of the best things about a forum.

I also like the fact that being here keeps my skills sharp. There's no better way to learn than by teaching others.

I think I've gained ten years of experience in 18 months as a result of being a member here. Invaluable advice from very helpful, friendly members.

No one knows it all and wouldn't have time to learn everything if they could. Being able to reach out and ask for assistance, advice or suggestions is invaluable.

Wine making isn't an expensive hobby but waiting a year to find out you did something wrong because you were not clear on something would be a huge let down and saddening. Good money wasted.

There are current and past members that have devoted a lot of time helping complete strangers with easy and difficult endevours. All because they enjoy what they do and believe in helping others achieve making great wines.

No one gets paid or is compensated for their help. It's just a group of wonderful people. There is a map on here. It shows wine makers, supply stores and wineries. I encourage you to pin yourself (exact location not necessary) and reach out to others living near you.

You can share experiences, knowledge and best of all WINE!

I am thankful for all those who have helped me with wine making. It has been an enjoyable experience. A big thanks to those who administer the forum and prowl the site for spammers as I know that at times is not easy. It is much appreciated.

Many more years of wine making to all of you folks. We still have things to learn.

Steve well said. Funny thing is you'll find a lot of professional winemakers sharing the same information. Those who don't are often the ones that are insecure and have inferior wine (not always though). During the off season a group of professional winemakers in the Lake Erie Region meet once a month to discuss wines whether it is about a problem wine or a winner.

What is wonderful about this forum is the collegial rather than competitive relationships that people have - a commitment to share ideas, to help others, to offer advice and to listen respectfully and civilly.

I learned a great deal from this beginners' forum by skimming over threads starting in Sept. 2013 and going back to Nov. 2011. I wrote down the advice of posters about fermentation, racking, degassing, killing yeast, and bottling. Other than the redneck wine youtube video, and the instructions that came with my hydrometer, your words have been my only information source on winemaking.
I just started my first two containers of wine in Aug. and Sept. 2013, so it will be sometime between March and September of 2014 before I can taste my first homemade wine. I already tasted the must several times, and didn't like it. In the process I learned that winemaking is the art of babysitting yeast. Not nearly as demanding as babysitting a two-year-old, though! I will only continue wine making if my first wine tastes good and is drinkable. So I have heavily leaned on the advice of this forum's posters. I am learning patience. Thank you all for your help.

Funny thing is, only after I skimmed this forum back to Nov. 2011 did I learn of the existence of the Tutorials & Reference Guides folder! So if you're new to this forum, you might want to check out this folder. You'll find it in the grandparent folder of this forum's folder.

When we merged websites with another forum I think the tutorials became lost. I try to provide links to them so newer members can find them.

Glad they helped.

Bernard, I started making wine back in the 1970's when there was no Internet. I planted some grapes and only by chance made a couple gallons of a red wine that turned out grape and a white that was just so-so that never cleared. Later we went to Welch's concentrate. The job made me discontinue this endeavor and it wasn't until we retired, moved to Costa Rica that I again started looking into winemaking again. I spent a couple of years with fruit wines until I made a contact with a winery using imported Italian bulk concentrate cabernet sauvignon and sauvignon blanc.

Forgot my point. It was a tremendous help being part of this group to start up again from the 1970's. There was virtually no info back then.

Not to mention all of the great friends we meet here! I have gotten more useful information here than anywhere. It's great getting different info from different people's experiences.

I agree with everything said. A huge thank you to everyone that provides help and insight. There is a wealth of knowledge from all levels of winemakers on here.

I echa what wineforfun as if, this website has been at wonderful source of good information. Thanks to everyone involved.

I echo what wineforfun has said....my previous post got "auto-corrected". Sorry.

Everything said on this thread has been said time and time again. Thanks to all for making me feel like a part of this large family. I have so enjoyed giving and getting advice on that which I am most passionate about.

les vin avek san fin. <--- {does NOT mean "I like Welches"!}

Last edited:
We grow together

WINE MAKING is a total learning process once the basics are down to memory and sanitation second nature to you the rest is fun, fun to do, fun to learn, fun to share and not just ideas and techniques but the finished product as well, this is a great site to grow on .:picand it grows on you>:hug

I jumped into this site and this hobby exactly 16 months ago. I didn't know the difference between a carboy, hydrometer or Kmeta. I have to say that the amount of Patience shown by the experienced winemakers here is amazing. For folks like Joe, Dan, Jim, Julie and dozens of others to answer questions about degassing or bottling at 8 weeks for the 212th time with a tone of encouragement and enthusiasm is awesome. I think I'm learning more than just about making wine here.

Thank you all,
Mike

I wish to also convey my gratitude to the helpful, collegial bunch on this forum. And, like Kraffty, I raise a glass, in particular, to the indefatigable enthusiasm and assistance that many here offer! :b

Back