Complete beginner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leemi1982

Junior
Reaction score
Hi I’m new to wine making my first attempt was a success a possible fluke I just used supermarket grape juice and it came out great.. my next attempt not so good I purchased a youngs Chardonnay 6 bottle which ended up tasting fairly low grade…

As a newbie I was wondering if I should expect low grade tasting wine from all kits.. and need to be using real fruits ( my future plan) but for now I am hoping to stick with kits for a while as long as there not poor quiLity.. what are other kit brands like.? what should I be using….?

also I don’t really want to be making big batches of wine, small kits are best for me.

I have received a Malbec winexpert kit for Xmas hoping that will be better.

Welcome to WMT!

Others have more experience with kits than I do. If you do move into fruit, one thing to keep in mind is a lot of the recipes go light on the amount of fruit needed. @Scooter68, @Rice_Guy, @hounddawg and others are expert fruit wine makers and can give great advice. Also, @joeswine has a couple of threads about tweaking kits to make even cheap kits full bodied and delicious.

Check out the beginners, kits, and country wine threads for more info. Have fun!

Welcome to WineMakingTalk

my suggestion is ferment what you like the taste of. ,,, kits are OK for the grape market (reliable, everything needed, etc) ,,,, I really got into wine making since I garden,, and also created toys at work to copy what a food factory did. ,,, If you have a club near you it is easy to collect small quantities of fermentables which are ready to go. If you have a decent kitchen creating a variety of gallon size juices will come easily and there are numerous easy to forage fruits as mulberry or apple or cactus pears or dandelion.

I said low grade but after the first bottle I’m starting to enjoy it.. miss’s not impressed tho

I’ve been doing this for about 4 years now. Pretty much stick to 6 gallon kits with grape juice concentrate as the base. Wine Expert, RJS and Finer Wine Kits are my staples. I’m pretty satisfied with the results although I think I’m still on the upswing in terms of my skill level. I feel like every new kit I make has the potential to be the best I’ve made.

Latest posts

Back