RJ Spagnols Compare RJS Grand Cru Int'l with CC Sterling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger80465

Reaction score
I am a newbie to the group but have made various wines for a number of years, almost always according to the instructions. I have made several Cellar Craft Sterling kits with the grape skins but not the Grand Cru International. I was wondering if any of you have made both and how they compare. Just trying to decide my next kit. Thanks for any input.

I haven't made either, but I have heard nothing but good about both.
Maybe my post will get your question back on top of the queue, so someone who has made both, will respond.

I appreciate it Richard. Fun dilemma to be in. Not which is good but which is better.

Rog
smiley17.gif

Just noticed you are in The Springs. I'm in Morrison. Maybe need to have a tasting.
smiley2.gif

roger80465 said:
I appreciate it Richard. Fun dilemma to be in. Not which is good but which is better.

Rog
smiley17.gif

Just noticed you are in The Springs. I'm in Morrison. Maybe need to have a tasting.
smiley2.gif

We can sure do that!

Well, I forgot to check back on this post. I tried the Grand Cru International Brunello and have tried several of the CC Sterling series (Amarone, Merlot, OVZ). In the end, I find them all to be very nice every day wines. By themselves, they have very nice flavor and are oaked to my liking. With food, however, they simply disappear. All flavor is gone and they enhance nothing. This seems to be consistent throughout this style of wine. I would have thought the grape pack would have prevented that. I like these wines and are certainly budget friendly. Any suggestions to make these better 'food wines'? Maybe tannins, acid blend - I don't know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Do not use acid blend in a grape wine. Acid blend contains citric acid, Tartaric acid and Malic acid. Tartaric is what you are looking for.

Do not use acid blend in a grape wine. Acid blend contains citric acid, Tartaric acid and Malic acid. Tartaric is what you are looking for.

So just to make sure I'm clear, you are saying that tartaric acid will give me what I'm looking for, specifically making a better food wine? If it is that simple, I am thrilled!

I have not tasted your wine so I can not judge what it needs. All I am saying is if you decide to use acid to lift the flavor of a grape wine use Tartaric acid not acid blend as there is very little citric acid in grape wine. If you want to try acid as a flavor lift pick up a small package of Tartaric and do a bench trial before mixing the whole batch. Go slow it will take very little in a wine to change a wine substantially.

Thanks for the clarification. It is worth a try. While I like the wine by itself, I prefer something that will also pair well with food. I will try a few combinations with the acid and maybe a little tannin. Will keep you posted.

The secret to making a kit wine taste more like a commercial wine is two fold.

1) Tannin. There is just not enough of it in a kit red wine to give it a decent mouthfeel and finish on the palette. Tancor Grand Cru (at some level) is used on all of my red (kit) wines these days.
2) Oxidation. We talk about how important it is to control and keep at bay but (controlled) oxidation is so important to a wine. Also concentration through evaporation. In case you haven't figured out what I am saying here, the real magic all happens in a wooden cask or barrel. No red wine aged its entire life in glass will ever compare IMHO with one aged in a nice porous oak cask. Yes, they are more costly than a carboy but if you take good care of them and keep them full they will last almost indefinitely. Once they become neutral you just add oak beans for the flavor and the barrel provides the all important micro oxidation and concentration through evaporation aka "the angels share".

BTW their is plenty of acid in a red kit wine. They adjust that upfront for you so you don't have to mess with or worry about.

Class over! :)

Thanks for your input, Mike. I just ordered some Tancor yesterday in an effort to pump up the kit reds.

I find it interesting that the lower end kits (Grand Cru, Vintners Reserve, etc) actually hold up better to food pairing than the GCI or Sterling kits. They don't have the same mouthfeel and enjoyment by themselves but are better with food. For example, WE Mezza Luna is one of the best wines I have ever had with a red sauce. Go figure.

Latest posts

Back