Commercial Mead Recommendation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleb

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a mead as my 2nd wine making attempt. However, I've never had mead and I don't know if I like it! I'd like to try one before I attempt to make it. Does anyone have a suggestion for a mead I could buy that would be a good representation of the category in general?

Kyle

something by Redstone meadery. I can't get it here but that's the one people have told me is good.

I've tried a couple local honey wines, and also Chaucer's Mead. Neither was a very good representation.

You could always make 1 gallon of simple mead and just bottle it in a 1 gallon jug to age for 6-12 months when its done. less of an investment that way.

Chaucer's "mead" is not a real mead. It's more like a honey flavored apple wine. I'd bet most home brewed meads will taste better that Chaucer's - after proper aging.

I'm about ready to mail order a commercial mead to try since I never seem to find any in shops. The only thing I ever see is that hideous Chaucer's stuff that made me think all mead sucks.

I saw chaucers at the liquor store last weekend and now I'm glad I didn't buy a bottle. Maybe I'll just make and and see how it tastes!

I tried Meade once and thought it was disgusting.
http://www.finewinehouse.com/BunrattyMeade.aspx

I never could really find any other mead availble near me and most likely would have never made it until I tried some at a local Home Brew shop and decided then and there that I needed to have many many gallonsd of this in my basement.

the guy we bought our place from made meade. it's kinda "earthy" in flavor, but not bad. it's got a bold flavor for sure. he made some with black currant that was really quite good. black currant is a great mixing wine.

his was made from his own bee hive honey too.

Yep. Black Currant is awesome and why I drove 5 hours to and 5 hours back to get 18 plants that were well grown and transplant them in my yard 1 month ago. I have always kept thi wine on my shelf every year!

Yep. Black Currant is awesome and why I drove 5 hours to and 5 hours back to get 18 plants that were well grown and transplant them in my yard 1 month ago. I have always kept thi wine on my shelf every year!

nice. i'm jealous!:b

Hopefully in 2 years Ill have all the Black Currants I can shake a stick at!

Latest posts

Back