Quantcast

comments regarding forums here..

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
It's just a suggestion..

We have a long running thread regarding guns..I know we are a wine thread, however, the thread is big and generates a lot of interest perhaps a separate forum is a possibility?.. please comment.

It could go under an 'other obsessions' theme forum, along with motorcycling and huntiing.

Allie

cpfan

Reaction score
Allie:

From my perspective, these threads (global, guns, etc) belong in the existing chit-chat section. If I start a disussion about baseball or model railroading and some folks chime in are we going to start a section for them as well?

I think that the focus on things wine-making should be maintained with other stuff considered "idle chit-chat".

Of course, I already ignore threads that don't really interest me (eg parsnip wine).

Steve

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
Fair enough Steve,

It was just a late night musing..I've been having a look through the files .. and thought I'd throw the suggestion out here is all.

will leave this up today and see what sort of feedback comes in anyway..

good to know you are happy with the way the forum is already set up

Allie

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
I don't personally have any problem with topics in here not related to wine. We are all friends in here and though we all love to make wine, we most certainly have common interests we can discuss. I enjoy the chit chat section in here for these "off" discussions. I do however feel sometimes "wine making" discussions sometimes get lost in this section.

I encourage everyone to please post in the appropriate "catagory". as we continue to grow, this will become more important to help keep things organized.

As Steve pointed out, I too, ignore threads that don't interest me, re:, kits.

Thanks to Allie and Wade for alll they have done, and continue to do too help make this site organized and provide us all with a place we can share our ideas, whether or not it wines, or guns, or the price of live chickens in Georgia.

Troy

Leanne

Fiesty Winer
Reaction score
I love seeing the other other facets of our personalities coming out. We are wine makers but we are also so much more.

Boozehag

NZ Artist
Reaction score
Doesnt bother me, I just dont bother reading threads Im not interested in!:i

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I love this site just the way it is. Kinda funny how you have never met anyone in person and live worlds apart but it seems like we've been friends forever. Always encouraging new friends in and ready to lend a hand in a heartbeat beat. Great Job Allie and Wade.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I do like the idea St Allie but dont want newcomers to be over stimulated by so many forums. Id atualy like to consolidate more but cant really think of where to do so that makes much sense.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
Wade, I was just throwing the idea out to see reactions..

I think we're fairly ambivalent.. the chit chat area is covering most things..

Mainly more political issues such as the US military.. global environment issues etc had been aired recently... I thought we could have another forum for that..it seems at this point it is unnecessary..

If nobody asks the questions..people don't comment

Allie :p

mmadmikes1

smart @$$
Reaction score
Politics regarding those issues are hot button issue here in America and can lead to good friends not being good friends. Kinda hope it stays in some political board. Anyone want links I can supply them, be ready to argue and bring your A game

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So..Wade, how do you really feel? :sm LMAO

smurfe

Reaction score
While I like a good political conversation as well as the next one I will delete one if I see it. I am a very very liberal conservative so I get in a lot of conversations. I try to be pretty lenient on most subjects but these conversations end up getting heated and turn into virtual fist fights. I am not going to rule the forums as "politically correct" but political conversations always go bad. There are plenty of forums out there to discuss these topics.

We don't really have a specific set of rules here as I have found this to be a very mature, social, and cordial forum and we haven't had a problem. We operate as adults here and I am proud of it. We tend to stay fairly focused and on topic but side conversations are OK in my book even though it is against common forum etiquette.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
I actually wish..I had never put my thoughts into words here..

background as to why I asked.. I was part of an art forum that had a corner just for controversial topics and grumpiness. Any chit chat that became heated was moved to the grumpiness area. And was deleted after 14 days if no more posts were made on the topic. People could avoid that forum if they were not interested in the topic... or into arguing with complete strangers.

This to me was a 'let steam off' area..without bad feeling.. or affecting the rest of the forum. I think an essential area in any forum.

I know in the art forum.. the steam needing to be let off was huge. we had maybe 2 controversial threads a week.

once vented and deleted..it was a huge benefit to the forum.

Allie

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
A lot depends upon how big a board the Admin/Mods want to maintain.
There are a bazillion boards on the web where people can talk politics, guns, movies, comedy...you name it, there's a home for everyone out there.

So...I like Allie's idea, because it would keep five different subjects bouncing around in the same thread. But, I came here to learn about winemaking. In the process, I made some friends with whom I'd like to discuss other subjects (like Troy and his eagle problem..hehe).

As a suggestion, you could make another section (forum?) where all the other chit-chat would go, and not detract from the original theme of the board. Maybe you could call it "The Lounge", or "Rathskeller", or whatever. Under that you could have, say, "Guns", "Hobbies" (other than winemaking, e.g., painting, photography), "Chit-Chat", etc.

Just like organizing folders on your computer, organizing your board can maintain order.

IMHO....

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
thankyou for all your comments here. OP that was also my intent.
I believe our chit chat area is covering all our needs at present.

The whole purpose of suggestions is to promote discussion.

if and when we need a more hands on flame forum bit..and we will need it eventually.

we can revisit the conversation

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
my part of the responsibility

i absolutely agree with Smurfe. I know I have been quilty of bringing a topic beyond it's original meaning. Re: politics, religion, and social etiquette. This is first and foremost a forum where we love to exchange our ideas regarding our mutual love of brewing our own.

However, beyond that, we are still a group of friends here, and I hope none of these discussions go so far to create discourse amongst us. It goes without saying we are all adults here, at least we hope. And I for one, will be careful to not let any of my posts lead into a place where we may have bad feelings amongst anyone.

I am a proud member of this site and think all of us need to realize this is a public forum and to be a little sensitive to all of our fellow members.

I am guilty of being a little complacent about this and will do my best to be careful on what, when, and how I say things as respect to the new people , and our current members, who come in here looking for advice on their hobby/obsession.

The general chit chat area is necessary so we can all share these off topics. I do however want to remind and encourage everyone to remember our views are not necessarily to be expected to be accepted by everyone. And again, as Smurfe pointed out, we have to good of a thing going on in here to have the wrong view tear us apart would be a shame and a disrespect for what this forum stands for.
Troy
I may not be right, but thats my view.