Come on spring!!! What's it like at your vineyard?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was sunny and 32 here today, melted yesterdays snow, talking another storm for this weekend, hope its rain this time.
Bottled the last of the concord today. 20 gallons for 2017.

I have all my primary and secondary pruning done. Going to have to wait for this 12” of snow to melt now. Need to run some top guide wires and gets posts in for another 100+ Marquettes.

Greg, I'm thinking your forcast was off a bit. It has been in the low twentys since Sat morning here, with a stiff north wind. This morning the wind is gone finally, so maybe the warmup can start again. Apricots were just starting to bloom before this started, bet they wish they hadn't tried! Vines are still dormant. What a roller coaster this year! Had snow with this last blow, and they have said we may get some again next weekend! Guess that is what makes the great plains.....great!:a1

Our situation turned to nasty. It is not as bad as it was just 50 miles north of us, but it has been slushy snow/freezing rain/sleet since Saturday evening, and it is still going. As far as shoveling, it is “heart attack snow” — heavy and wet.

I am grateful, in a way, that it had never really gotten warm here. The only activity among the flora was some crocuses. In particular, the trees did not bud, so we won't have lost the cherry crop (yet).

Snow flurries here again today....sheez record low last Wednesday, then record high 87 on Saturday, and back in the 30s Sunday through today...starting to wonder if we saw our summer already...

Well after 12” last weekend, we just got another 5” today. 50’s for at least the next week. Adios winter.

Here in South East England we've had so much rain this winter plus a bit of snow. Then this week the rain stopped and we've now got a mini heat wave at 28C / 82F today! The vine buds are now looking like their about to burst, whereas 4 days ago there was no sign of life. I'm growing Regent (nice deep coloured red) and Phoenix (which last year started going mouldy so I picked them in mid September and ended up with a wine which is a bit sharp). This year I've planted more cuttings of Phoenix.

Just finished the season in southern hemisphere and we were in drought by the end of spring and more rain at the end of summer than all of spring. So the season looked completely flipped. We picked about a month early with the grapes completely confused and it looked like spring with the nets attached with new growth... I had new grape sets forming on second growth at the end of summer... I wish you all the best of luck!

One bit of news from here is that the robins (and other migratory songbirds) are dying because they can't forage under the snow. They came north and then got stuck when it snowed. Purple martins only eat from bugs that they catch on the wing, and the bugs ain't flying!

Well I do believe spring has sprung......finally! Even had a rain yesterday, drier than a pop corn fart around here! Hope the trend is for warm temps and rain! I do have bud swell through out the vinyard, so things are looking up!

Latest posts

Back