Combo: Hydrometer and Temperature gauge (Alla Thermohydrometer)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10-4. Know right where the nearest HF is located. And they know where I'm located too, because your post is from that location!
A little confused, are you near Manassas?

When anyone loads a page from Harbor Freight, it automagically conducts a geolocation and lists your nearest store in the header.

Every hydrometer I have owned comes with an in built thermometer. To measure the temp of the must at the point where you float the hydrometer into the must.

A digital infrared "point and go" thermometer may only report the temp at the surface or edge of the container. Meanwhile internal temps may be quite different if you have a larger fermentation vat. Simply sink your hand into any 100+ L barrel of fermenting must (or a compost heap, which is similar) and I suspect you will find it hotter the deeper you go into the mass unless you are constantly mixing (which most home wine makers do not do). Just something to think about. Hope this helps.

All excellent points. The must needs to be stirred well before checking temperature by any means.

I have 3 thermometers -- floating thermometer designed for winemaking (reaches down about 9" into the must), a beer thermometer (has clip for the side of the boiling kettle), and a digital kitchen thermometer. Next time I stop by Harbor Freight I may buy the infrared model, and/or I'll check Home Depot or Lowes -- I like no sanitation required.

Back