Combining Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to use 1g of yeast per gallon of juice. Since I have 6 gallon buckets I would use 6g of yeast. I have six gallons of Barbera juice and would like to use my last package of RC 212. Since each package contains 5g, that would leave me one gram short. Can I mix 1g of 71B with 5g of RC212 with no ill effects?

Thanks

WV

develop a yeast starter. about 100ml of water add some sugar and let yeast start fermenting. might take a couple of hours to get it going. sufficent for starting your 6 gallons. if not desired the 5 grams will start in your must and multiply to desired level.

develop a yeast starter. about 100ml of water add some sugar and let yeast start fermenting. might take a couple of hours to get it going. sufficent for starting your 6 gallons. if not desired the 5 grams will start in your must and multiply to desired level.
I was planning on a starter. Is there a down side to combining.

71B is considered a yeast that is sensitive to competitive factor, so it may start to ferment early, but will be less likely to complete fermentation. Depending on fermentation conditions the RC212 will most likely dominate. With RC212, be sure to add some nutrients at the beginning and middle of fermentation to avoid H2S and related off odors.

71B is considered a yeast that is sensitive to competitive factor, so it may start to ferment early, but will be less likely to complete fermentation. Depending on fermentation conditions the RC212 will most likely dominate. With RC212, be sure to add some nutrients at the beginning and middle of fermentation to avoid H2S and related off odors.
Ok. That’s pretty convincing. I’ll just get a good starter with go-ferm and not combine the 71-b.

What about using EC1118? Same outcome?

I don't think there is anything terribly wrong with using multiple yeasts. Fermenting with uninocculated must is done all of the time, and it has been shown in studies that there is competition and usually a succession of different yeasts and other microbes. Some winemakers really like the added complexity and final results. The question is, what are you looking to accomplish? RC212 may start the fermentation, but EC1118 has the competitive factor active and requires less nutrients, so chances are it would eventually overtake the RC212. EC1118 has neutral flavor characteristics so you have to decide if that is what you want. Maybe you wouldn't notice the difference one way or another, it's hard to say, but the last thing I would want is to risk RC212 struggling for nutrients and deciding to kick out some H2S in the process.

Agreed. Let the starter sit overnight for more multiplication, and the difference between 5 and 6 grams will disappear.

I also agree with blending yeasts. It won't hurt, but the more competitive yeast will take over, so make sure you want that, e.g., EC-1118 vs. anything else.

I think it’s important to address the reason for the question. Inoculating with 5g for six gallons of juice will do no harm and ferment dry as normal. That formula might add about a day to the overall time frame as the colony needs time to build. But, build it shall. Besides, that amount of yeast is what is provided in every six gallon wine kit.

@Rice_Guy I've been using Superfood for the last 20yrs, and generally follow their guide for additions. They were one of the first suppliers I found that provided significant information about what was in their product and why it was there. The guide includes information on when additional DAP supplements may be needed. For grape must without YAN data, I assume an initial starting YAN of 150 to 170ppm. Superfood® 1 kg
I usually purchase from Napa Fermentation Supply SUPERFOOD

I usually pre-weigh the nutrients and make 3 or more additions depending on what I see happening during the ferment. I usually have YAN data for the grapes I receive, so if the initial YAN is below 150ppm, I'll make a nutrient addition at yeast inoculation, and the rest is added in portions before dropping to 10 brix.

Back