Combining two different kits to make a blended Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbuck

Reaction score
I've successfully made 25 wine kits, thank you Lord; the first 8 just by the kit instructions; then learned about tan cru tannin and started adding it to my reds. I am now realizing my internal wine geek and want to create a blend of two reds. My question is to anyone who has done this:

When do you blend them? I assume you do both kits separately, then blend them in whatever % you like in a glass until you get the taste you are looking for and then blend them together in a carboy? After blending how long do you wait for bottling? Is there any reason to blend right after fermentation?

I bought to kits of the RJS LE Aglianico and am thinking I might make one regular and then one to blend with some merlot and/or cab.

My wife and I really like the pure full bodied Italians, but we also really like the blends we've made - Enigma, Trio.

Thoughts?

I would make them separately and wait until cleared and aged a bit, then bench test to determine your best blend percentages. If it were me, I'd let the blend mellow at least a couple weeks before bottling. Then I'd rack before bottling to be sure I've got it mixed well.

I like BB's advice....

You may find that you do not like the blend you make. By waiting until both wines are complete, you have the option of experimenting.

Latest posts

Back