coloured bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumpole

Junior
Reaction score
If it is better to put red wines into coloured bottles would it also be best for lets say an orange wine? What might happen if it was in a clear bottle? I,m making a Mango fruit wine adapted from a Pineapple wine recipe and would like try and maintain the colour.

I made a Mango wine 2.5 yrs ago, I bottled some in green bottles and some in clear glass. I haven’t seen a difference. BUT my wine is stored in a 68* dark room, that may matter. I also do one clear bottle for every batch I bottle mostly all Reds, for quality control, some of those batches are 5+ yrs old. Again I don’t see a diff between clear and colored bottles. Roy

I made a Mango wine 2.5 yrs ago, I bottled some in green bottles and some in clear glass. I haven’t seen a difference. BUT my wine is stored in a 68* dark room, that may matter. I also do one clear bottle for every batch I bottle mostly all Reds, for quality control, some of those batches are 5+ yrs old. Again I don’t see a diff between clear and colored bottles. Roy
Ok so it could be the dark room had the same effect. How was your mango wine, did you manage to get it to clear. I'm thinking that could be a problem as they have a fibre texture. Thanks for reply.

Gumpole, It cleared very nicely, faster than my Apple or Peach wines. It did dump a ton of Lees though. Started with 15+ gals of must after pressing ended with 10 gals of wine. I used 10 lbs of mango to 1 gal finished wine. One batch I added a few banannas and strawberries to the ferment, liked that batch the best. If I make Mango Wine again this summer ( we have a endless supply of FreeMangos) I’m going to do a Tropical Mango Wine. Roy

normally red wine go in dark bottle green etc to save pigment levels. all other white or white from fruits are okay in either clear or red bottles.

Back