Color

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koda_ky

Reaction score
Hi all
I have made a one gallon batch of apple raspberry and up until I back sweetend it the color was fine. I waited a week and bottled it and the color went from a light red to a more brownish red. it taste fine and everything. I don't know if I did something wrong when I sweetend it or if I let air get to it. I used 1/2 cup of sugar disolved in spring water and 1/2 tsp potasum sorbate, and one crushed meta tablet.

How big of a batch is this and when was the last time you added k-meta. This sounds like oxidation to me. When ever I make an apple based wine I use ascorbicacid along with k-meta as apples are just so prone to browning and the juice from apples is just as so.

Wade
I added the meta and sorbate and then about 24 hours added the sugar and racked with airlock for another 10 days before bottling. during those 10 days is when the color went bad. taste great but I hate the color. I just bottled some strawberry the same way I hope it does not change colors. What is the corect steps for backsweeting with sugar.

Sonds right what you did as long as you dissolved the sugar in soke withdrawn wine or some water before adding. Like I said it probably just got a little over exposure to air which is why I also use the ascorbic acid with fruit wines like this.

Thanks
Thats was my first with anything that had apples in it. I will remember that.:b

That apple recipe I used said to add ascorbic acid at the 4 week mark. 1/2 tsp I think. What about a strawberry wine Wade? Would it help the color retention?
Steve

It sure wouldnt hurt and I use it in all my fruit wines cause its just 1 more preventative and prervative. Its basically just vitamin C and we can all use more of that most of the time.

Since you don;t like the color, you could add food coloring and make it a fun color not found in nature....

Latest posts

Back