Color of Cab @ 3 months aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavino

Junior
Reaction score
Just making sure. My Winexpert Lodi ranch 11 cab kit is now aged 3 months. The color is a medium dark reddish purple. See photo. Most cabs I have ever seen have this dark purple color but maybe this is different. Just concerned about oxidation. Is mine pretty par for the course at this point? Thanks all. Edit: I should note this is the near bottom of a carboy and somewhat cloudy as I just racked it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I agree it looks a little light, but not too much so. It is entirely possible that your commercial cabs have been "punched up" with megapurple to deliver the inkiness.

It does look a little light as Paul said, but the most important characteristic of this wine should be the flavor. How did the sample in that glass taste to you? Did it taste like a cab? Was the tannin light, as the color would lead one to believe, or heavy tasting?

The Lodi Ranch kit has been praised by several people on WMT. However, my own experience with this kit is the exception as it left me with a heavy tannin wine that tastes more like a generic blend, with only a hint of cab flavor. I just started the Three Moons cab today to see it that gives me the good cab that I'm looking for from the Eclipse level kit.

I have a 2019 S. African Cab that looked good at press but lightened up with aging. I did screw up and sulfited it without checking the levels and over sulfited it to 95 ppm. A winemaker told me I could have bleached it and the color may come back. Just have to wait and see.

It does look a little light as Paul said, but the most important characteristic of this wine should be the flavor. How did the sample in that glass taste to you? Did it taste like a cab? Was the tannin light, as the color would lead one to believe, or heavy tasting?

The Lodi Ranch kit has been praised by several people on WMT. However, my own experience with this kit is the exception as it left me with a heavy tannin wine that tastes more like a generic blend, with only a hint of cab flavor. I just started the Three Moons cab today to see it that gives me the good cab that I'm looking for from the Eclipse level kit.

That’s a good point. It did seem light so I opened a store bought cab to compare to make sure it wasn’t in my head. It was actually pretty comparable. Maybe only slightly lighter and smoother. With all that said it’s still pretty early

Latest posts

Back