color change happened

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bladeofthemoon

Drunken God
Reaction score
well, this is what everyone and every book and every webpage warned me about.... too much head space. My apple and honey cidar, which was a clear color, has turned a bit darker now. it isnt brown, just darker and i have shifted it in a container where there is barely 1 inch of space from the top. so that should stop further oxidation. although it still smells fine and i have put in the fining gelation. i havent tasted it yet. do you think i can still go ahead and finish the wine??? or is it a lost cause already?? i was thinking, i could go ahead and finish it cause it may still be drinkable, although it wont last so long in a bottle i guess as it might have. :(

I make cider.. the apple juice starts out more brown..and by the time it's fermented and ready to bottle it's a clear, bright gold. Perhaps your honey has affected the colour, my cider has no added sugars.. I ferment out on the brix content of the apples, which is variable at the best of times. Mine can best be described as a scrumpy. The apples are left in buckets on my front porch for two weeks to mature before being juiced.

I make it in 1 gallon lots because 3 buckets of apples equals 14 kilos in weight and makes 5 litres of apple juice.

If you need any help with cider .. just message me privately.

Allie
:)

It will be fine except for the color, that will never change back but its only color and as long as it still tastes good dont worry about it but you have done the right thing by getting it into a smaller vessel. Another thing to do with aaple wine or any white wine that can be oxidised very easy is to also use Ascorbicacid along with the k-meta in the primary as this will help prevent oxidation but will not hinder fermentation at all and the amount of k0-meta we use in the primary isnt really enough to stop this discoloring of our product alone.

well, since i have already added the finings, i'll wait for about 10 days to ensure that all the sedimentation happens properly. then i'll add pottasium meta bisulphite. i didnt want to taste it as there seem to be some fine particles in the liquid still so i didnt want anything other than wine in my mouth. :p

Let the wine sit longer with the carboy tilted to let the sediment compact some in 1 corner so you can rack off the shallow corner and retrieve more wine that is clearer.

Back