Cold weather patio trellis suggestions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chambers

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm brand new to vine growing and was hoping one of you might be kind enough to answer a question. I'm located in the Boston area (zone 6a/5b). I ordered three Marquette vines, the U. Minnesota hybrid, and thought I'd give growing grapes and see how they fared.

I planted the Marquettes in 10 gallon containers. I thought I'd have a good deal of time to figure out a trellis system but the damn things have taken off like mad. The two books I have on the subject, From Vines to Wines and Northern Wineworks, strike me as really quite good, but I'm hitting information overload and I'm not sure what exactly my primary concerns should be in trellis design.

Do any of you have trellis designs that you would suggest for my situation? I have unlimited vertical but limited horizontal space. Any other suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks all.

Container growing and trellises generally don't go together. You really need more horizontal space than vertical. Not sure what I would suggest as Marquette is a very vigorous grower and really not suited for growing in confined spaces.

As you're growing your wines in a patio I'd let them grow up a wall. There you are pretty free with trellis design. You might have several horizontal cordons on top of each other or several vertical cordons next to each other.

Latest posts

Back