Cold stable

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelaz

Reaction score
I put 3 carboys of Chilean Merlot in my garage about the first of the month. The temp was pretty much in mid 30's sometimes lower. Yesterday i went out to rack and move back in. When i did the first one there were no crystals, however, there was a thin layer of what i call "muck" at the bottom. I found that strange since the wine is about 8 months old and was pretty clear. Could that "muck" have settled due to the cold and/or could that actually be tartaric acid? I decided to leave it out there another week or 2. When i cold stabled my California Merlot i did get some nice crystals that settled.

Thanks Roy, do you think thats all the diamonds your getting? Did you rack it? Or you gonna leave it further? Maybe that all we are gonna get?

Yes I racked it as soon as I took it out of the frig. I learned my lesson on a Pinot Noir that I didn't rack immediately & the diamonds re absorbed. This is my 5 th Cold Stabitization, I have had serious diamonds in all batches. Both kits & juice buckets & real grapes. I'm now experimenting with different PH's pre C S & noting the difference after. Roy

Latest posts

Back