Cold Stabilizing again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floandgary

Bottle at a time
Reaction score
Many have subscribed to the process of Cold Stabilization. I have not (as yet). My question for starters is, what is considered an acceptable maximum temperature for this process to work? AND given the current weather patterns here in the Northeast might there be an "El Nino" disclaimer for this winter??

There is not an easy answer to your question as it depends on so many different factors:

Alcohol level
buffer concentrations (amount of potassium)
acid concentrations
other components (polysaccharides, mannoproteins, etc) that prevent crystallization

Crystals can form at room temperature. The colder the wine, the less soluble the potassium bitartrate is in the wine and more crystals will precipitate.

If your goal is to prevent crystals in the bottle - you really only need to chill it to the lowest temperature it will be chilled for serving (fridge). A month at 40 degrees will precipitate a lot of tartrates if they are going to come out of solution.

Thanks Greg. I do mostly reds from juice buckets and have never had any crystals yet. The whites I've done have had time in a fridge below 40F also with no crystal formation. In general terms all of my wines have been satisfactory, ie., none have gone down a drain!!! Is there anything besides tartrate crystallization that the cold stabilization process can do for a wine? Can I surmise that the chemistry of the juice buckets and my processes result in a wine that would not see any additional benefit from the chilling process?

I don't have experience with juice buckets but I would think they would be balanced well from the start. You may not see tartrates if you are using them. It happens a lot with our high acid hybrid grapes here in the north. If your wines do not precipitate tartrates when you chill them, cold stabilization really has no benefit. Mainly it helps reduce some acid and make them cold stable to avoid unsightly crystals in the bottle. Cooler temperatures may sometimes help sediments drop out in clearing but not in any significant way. If you are using juice buckets or kits, you likely will never need to do cold stabilization.

@ Greg
I'm cold stabilizing right now - I will give pics in about 2 weeks and I am sure that my whites and reds will be clearer and have crystals all over the bottom of the carboy. Yes fresh local grapes have alot more tartaric acid drop out - will typically do those 3 months after fermentation and again after 1 year and then bottle.

Can dropping out tartaric acid affect the taste of the wine. I.e., it tastes less acidic after you get the crystals out?

Latest posts

Back